iomegaman

Re: DIY compatible Waves Soundgrid Server
« Reply #100 on: February 11, 2021, 10:46:39 PM »
Just thought I'd give a quick update here on Waves plugins and native...

Over the weekend I got the cheapest mac mini M1 you can get, mainly for test purposes...spent several days trying to get it to play nice with my Antelope Discrete 8 and loading plugins...took a couple of days (if someone wanted to create an app that would uninstall all your plugins form one machine and move them to another they'd be rich)...

At any rate once I got the hardware and software to play nice I loaded up a small project to start testing stuff...

I loaded 21 instances of Abbey Roads plates and 10 instances of Abbey Roads chambers, 21 each of FabFilter Pro Q3, HOFA 4U Tilt, Abbey Roads RS124, and DMG Track Comp 2...

So we end up with 105 plugins PLUS 10-Abbey Roads Chambers all with my hardware buffer set at 64 samples...(probably 1.5 ms rtl)...I hit play expecting it to crap out and it played without even hitting 70% in ProTools CPU, the ram was at 75% because this machine only has 8gigs...and in System Resource monitor the 8 cores never got over 70% or the RAM over 60%...it played without batting an eye.

This is the cheapest M1 you can buy right now 8 gigs ran, 256 gig SSD Mac Mini...less that $800 to my door...

Apple has changed the game.

Intel is in some serious desktop trouble...fortunately they will probably remain dominate in the server side of things...but I cannot see Apple ever going back to them and silicone ARM processing seems to be the future.
Since the development of the internet millions of people have died, the two may or may not be related.

Whoops

« Reply #101 on: February 21, 2021, 07:55:06 PM »
Apple has changed the game.

I'm not really sure,
Apple is not innovative anymore across any category. Apple is failing to bring anything new to the table in smartphones, apps, smart devices, computers.
Their laptops computers quality decreased substantially since 2012, and even worse after 2015, they fail easily in a lot of different ways.
Apple at the present is just an hardcore master of Planned Obsolescence.

This is coming from a long time Apple user, so I'm really not that confidant as yourself that they are changing anything for better at the moment.

I bought a used $100 HP Elitedesk mini computer to try the server myself and it also runs lots of plugins without any problems so I'm really not sure that a $800 computer is needed for this build.

But congrats for your build and wish you much fun using it.

mhelin

« Reply #102 on: February 24, 2021, 07:24:37 AM »
It's not the ARM CPU cores which makes the M1 fast, it's the fact that it's a SoC and has everything integrated nicely and effectively together. Inter could do the same and be even faster. Nice chip though.

cyrano

« Reply #103 on: February 25, 2021, 01:39:30 PM »
Intel could make an X86 SOC, in theory. In practice, the thing would melt in use and it would break most of that gigantic library of X86 software.

Besides, the people at Intel who maybe were capable of performing stunts like that, have all left the company.

Google, Amazon and others in the cloud business are already using their own servers and none of those is X86 based. Some are 64 core ARM, some are other architectures. Performance isn't even the most important factor. Power use is. Electricity is very expensive in data centers, because most of it gets turned into heat. Getting rid of that heat is what makes a data center expensive.

AMD, OTOH, could surprise us. Possibly even with their own ARM range.

I've worked for all three. Intel is in the "fall of the Roman empire" stage. Creativity is minimal and the board dances to the beat of the stockholders.
Why is it people love to believe and hate to know?

Whoops

« Reply #104 on: February 25, 2021, 02:04:56 PM »
Creativity is minimal and the board dances to the beat of the stockholders.

I understand, but I find that happening with most companies, I feel the same situation is happening to Apple also. Steve Jobs really made a difference over there

cyrano

« Reply #105 on: February 26, 2021, 05:59:44 PM »
It's happening to a lot of companies that get to big.

I was thinking the same about Apple when Jobs left this world, especially the last decade with nothing new in the Mac arena, but I have to admit Tim Cook is doing a good job. The long awaited M1 has reconfirmed my trust in Apple. And since Linux is getting more viable by the day for audio, I don't worry about Microsoft anymore :D
Why is it people love to believe and hate to know?

mhelin

« Reply #106 on: March 01, 2021, 06:01:04 AM »
Intel could make an X86 SOC, in theory. In practice, the thing would melt in use and it would break most of that gigantic library of X86 software.
It wouldn't melt if it was built using 5nm tech and the thermal power handling would be design properly. After all it's just an engineering problem.
Also Intel CPU's already have internally RISC-like cores running CISC microcode. They are like M1 + Rosetta though the latter is performing better atm. Apple hasn't proved they can do larger desktop grade M1 socs yet, their thermal management will much more demanding. ARM ISA (instruction set architecture) doesn't exactly tell how to implement it, so Apple has optimized the performance as far as possible using large out-of-execution pools and somehow managed it thermally, but it's because of what Apple has done not ARM.