Audio Technica boundary mic questions

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mike_relay

I have an AT871R (cardiod condensor boundary) microphone that I took apart because I am trying to use it as a microphone on my upright bass for a gig tomorrow. The electronics inside are pretty small and light, so I was planning to attach the whole thing to the f-hole. It would be nice, however, if I could just atach the capsule to my bass and then put the electronics in a separate box. There are 3 wires coming off the capsule. Could I just lengthen these (I'd like 3-4 ft) or would that add a lot of extra noise?

Any other info (like what the capsule might be) would be very nice.
Thanks,
Mike

PS Here are some links to specs from Audio Technica:
http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/wired_mics/f63f3c2c81d87228/index.html
http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/resource_library/literature/87e93077242433e5/at871r.pdf

the capsule is a back electret, so I think you just need to make sure that there is an fet in the capsule itself (like the panasonics). If not, you would be sending a very weak signal and even 3-4 feet might degrade it signifigantly. I certainly am no expert here, hopefully someone else will chime in if I am wrong. If in doubt, try it.

I'm guessing that you are breaking this up because "you've got it". But I think there are better places to start. A friend of mine has a dual element piezo attached to the bridge of his upright, and runs it through a @v@lon U*5. Sounds great!

Anyway, rather than tear up a mic like that ($) I would suggest a lav mic. Lots to choose from! And I'm sure that there are plenty of people who can offer good advice about which mic to use.

HTH!
Charlie

[quote author="SonsOfThunder"]But I think there are better places to start. A friend of mine has a dual element piezo attached to the bridge of his upright, and runs it through a @v@lon U*5. Sounds great![/quote]

I have a pickup similar to that, and it sounds OK on pizz stuff, but when I bow, it sounds like nails on a chalkboard. Also, this is for a gig in a smoky club. I wouldn't take an avalon in there... :roll: And I need it tomorrow! :oops:

I picked up a couple of these mics at a garage sale (5/$5 )... quickest option available..

-mike

That mic sells for ~$200 new! I would think you can sell them on ebay and go buy just about anything to use for now.

Didn't know you would bow. That kinda rhymes. My buddy is a plucker. I can imagine that a piezo doesn't go with the bow-thing and you probably want a mic that does not have a high freq tilt either.

Sorry I'm no help!

[quote author="SonsOfThunder"]Sorry I'm no help![/quote]

No, thanks for the suggestions. I am going to check into a lav microphones. I ended up just attaching it to the bridge and I am really happy with it!

Latest posts

Back