Can I replace NE5532 with discrete 2520 op-amps?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

echoplex

Hi there,

I was wondering if I can replace some NE5532 ICs in a unit by some gar2520 DOAs.
Namely I am talking about my Nite EQ which has a lot of NE5532 in it.
Sparkoslabs is providing adapters so you could swap out any IC for a DAO with API (2520) footprint:
https://sparkoslabs.com/product/api-to-dip-adapter/

Is that technically viable?

thanks

I am not familiar with gar2520 but 5532 is a dual op amp, so you might need two single DOAs to replace one 5532.

If there are a number of them, you may also exceed the units PS current output. DOAs probably draw more current that IC op amps.

When applied properly the 5532 is a respectable audio op amp. 

JR

echoplex said:
Is that technically viable?
As long as you have enough space to fit them and enough headroom on the PSU, it is viable.
Then the question is what would be the benefit?
The only objective advantages of a DOA vx. 5532 is higher rail voltage capability and higher drive capability.
Unless you modify heavily the unit and increase the rail voltages, you don't get the first advantage.
The higher drive capability could be beneficial if the unit was poorly designed to start with, i.e. if the drive capability of the 5532 was exceeded by the environing circuitry.
Too much mythology around DOA's IMO.

I'd think about it twice!
It's tempting to upgrade gear that sounds good to take it even further into sonic nirvana, but I'd question if it will be a real improvement on Nite EQ! One of the features of the Nite EQ is boosting air frequencies, and no matter how much you lift that up it always sounds nice. My subjective impression is that it sounds good in that region because of 5532's relatively low slew rate. If you put an opamp with high slew rate (as most discrete opamps are) you may find it will start to sound edgy and nervous. It's the ability of fast opamps to reproduce transients so well that may kill the smoothness of Nite EQ's air band.

My experience with fast opamps was that I replaced U1 on one channel with LME48960 and compared it with unmodded second channel. I didn't like it. Yes it was precise but it sounded more harsh to my ears. And since it's not cheap opamp I bought only one peace just to try it. I gave up buying more and left all the 5532s in my unit.

:)

Luka

shot said:
I'd think about it twice!
It's tempting to upgrade gear that sounds good to take it even further into sonic nirvana, but I'd question if it will be a real improvement on Nite EQ! One of the features of the Nite EQ is boosting air frequencies, and no matter how much you lift that up it always sounds nice. My subjective impression is that it sounds good in that region because of 5532's relatively low slew rate.
IIRC the 5532 is something like 9V/uSec...  That could pass a full scale 125kHz triangle wave... and certainly any audio signal that we could hear.
If you put an opamp with high slew rate (as most discrete opamps are) you may find it will start to sound edgy and nervous. It's the ability of fast opamps to reproduce transients so well that may kill the smoothness of Nite EQ's air band.
??
My experience with fast opamps was that I replaced U1 on one channel with LME48960 and compared it with unmodded second channel. I didn't like it. Yes it was precise but it sounded more harsh to my ears. And since it's not cheap opamp I bought only one peace just to try it. I gave up buying more and left all the 5532s in my unit.

:)

Luka
The sound (transfer function) of any active audio circuit depends on multiple factors. The 5532 is a respectable performer so I would not expect an audible improvement, unless the 5532 was misapplied in the original design.  I can imagine other reasons a modified circuit might sound harsh or edgy besides slew rate well above human perception.

JR

I have an API with 2520s.  A 2520 has a more forward or aggressive midrange to my ear.  CApi makes a 2520 compatible opamp with buffered transistors hybrid.  That unit sound tame to me in a mic preamp but not every preamp should be aggressive sounding. So not sure you would want to change in the night eq.  There are some 8 pin single channel versions you could try but you would need to adapt those with a dual amp pin adapter .  The main thing as others have said is to make sure you have enough current in the power supply to handle the extra load.  Seems like a lot of work but a listen would let you know.

Back