JLM Talkback Compressor 4 channel build

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Potato Cakes

Hello, everyone,

I wanted to share this latest thing to be finished off of my bench. It's a four channel JLM Talkback Compressor with adjustable gain and threshold and will work with line and mic level and switchable +48V and compressor bypass. With the added controls it really lets you dial in subtle settings that will pleasantly smooth out an snare with an obnoxious crack. And of course you can also dial up some nuclear death if you so desire. Many thanks to Joe for the circuit and helping me figure out how to implement the added features. Easy build and you can put several in them in a shallow case.

Thanks!

Paul

Attachments

• LMC 1.jpg
    LMC 1.jpg
    478.2 KB · Views: 80
One more. All buttoned up. I'm running low on knobs and the right kind of switches so I scrounged what I could but was one shy of a matching set.

Attachments

• LMC 3.jpg
    LMC 3.jpg
    396 KB · Views: 50
Attached is how I connected the switch with the zeners. I am using 1N5231Cs with the cathode (black stripe) on position 1 of the switch that went in series to position 12. There is a simple on-on switch between the connection of switch position one and the threshold connection on the PCB (green wire) that acts as the bypass. I added a U-pad on the input and output XLRs to allow me to use this with both line and mic level applications.

This is a great little board and you can cram a bunch of them in a tiny space. I highly recommend if you're needing something like an LMC with some variable controls.

Thanks!

Paul

Attachments

• LMC rotary switch threshold.jpg
    LMC rotary switch threshold.jpg
    508.7 KB · Views: 27
Back