CONFUSED IN SELECTING AN EQ TO BUILD

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mastan2289

Hi,
My name is Mastan. I'm a recording & mixing engineer.
I'm new to this DIY group. After going through several posts and videos, i've decided to build an equalizer by myself to cut my cost spending on analogue gear. I have a basic experience in soldering things. Like i can build my own cables. But i've never tried building an eq. I hope this is the time to proceed.

Need a suggestion in building an eq, which fulfills my requirement. I have gone through so many websites which provides DIY KITS to assemble (HAIRBALL AUDIO, CAPI GEAR, RECPRO AUDIO, SOUND SKULPTOR, AML, JLM & ETC.. ). I wanted to build an eq which could be useful to eq mono tracks as well as a stereo bus. Few told that 2 mono eqs can be used as stereo. I know each kit has its own uniqueness. But, Please suggest me which one should i go with (no compromises in quality)?

Thanks in advance...

Thanks for the reply whoops... :) :)

But where can i find the pcb and components?

if u dont mind could u please share the links to buy them...

Thanks in advance...

mastan2289 said:
Thanks for the reply whoops... :) :)

But where can i find the pcb and components?

if u dont mind could u please share the links to buy them...

Thanks in advance...

I think the board was sold by Audiox.
All the info on components it's in the thread I posted the link

I just check and I have 2 pcbs for that EQ in my pcb collection, let me know if you have interest in them

Regards

mastan2289 said:
How about CAPI BT50s Litz wire with SL-2520 RED DOTS  (PAIR)?

The classic API stuff is great. High quality designs and kits. The BT50 is based on the API 550 .
But you have to decide what type of EQ you want. high, low, midbands? Parameteric with how many frequencies? What type of HPF?
Look at the API stuff (553,550,560), Neve 1073, 1084, Trident A-range, etc...
Decide what you want before you start soldering will help a lot.

Michael Tibes said:
https://groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=33996.0 might be good start.

Michael

These are great. I've built both the standard and mastering version - both based on the Studer 169.  The mastering version works great on stereo buses to adjust the low and high end. It does not have a mid band though. The standard version has an adjustable midband and would be better suited to channel tracking.  High quality project that can be built cheap.

Thanks for the suggestion dmp, my only concern is I couldn’t find the pcb board in any of the USA stores... if I want to get it then I need to spent little more on customs tax while importing it to USA. As I’m new to assembling pcb’s like this, need little more simplified assembly guide... and need all the components list.... if possible could u please help me in getting the links of pcb, components list for buying and simplified assembly guide or any assembling video link for assembling the product... thanks in advance...

I would suggest a simple kit from one of the vendors you listed (Once you decide what specs in an EQ you want).

Gustav makes some of the EQ PCBs we've been talking about.
https://www.pcbgrinder.com/webshop

He has the studer 169 in 500 series format and the Neumann 492.
I don't know of anyone in the USA selling these. You could etch them yourself though.

If you just start with PCBs, you'll have to do a lot of work to research into buying the parts. 

If you are looking for someone to make it easy for you, buy a kit. You can get all the parts and a build guide.  You can't go wrong with classic API.

If you have only built cables (as I was able to do when I first started this) then I strongly suggest reading this through first:

https://groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=68195.msg867001#msg867001

It's not to be self promoting but to help people new to this avoid a ton of headaches and missing monies. An EQ is not something that should be your first move, especially if you have to source parts and figure out which substitutions are suitable. Granted the EQ's suggested on this thread are all fantastic and you can't go wrong with any of them if you have a working unit, but unless you are comfortable soldering at a component level and wiring power transformers, you might find yourself halfway through one of these and getting stuck. I don't want to discourage you, but if you come here asking how to do the most basic tests or tasks you will either be told to do an internet search and look it up or it just won't be answered.

That being said, I just recently finished a PQD2 from pcbgrinder.com. It's awesome....

Thanks!

Paul

As a starter Project I´d go with AML or CAPI. The kit are great and you don´t need to source parts everywhere. The AML kits are ridiculously easy to build, but a bit more expensive than CAPI.

Get a CAPI LC-40, it’s a wonderful sounding graphic equalizer based on the API560. It had a ton of bands and sounds great on guitars. Otherwise get the CAPI BT-50. The LC-40 is more components but a bit easier. You won’t be sorry with either one.
Cheers,
Chris

Id start simple first.

DIYRE has the BEST starter kits out there. The EQP5 is a very easy build and comes with all the parts you need. It's also very affordable at 200 bucks a pop. 250 with the vintage output which Id recommend you get. 

https://www.diyrecordingequipment.com/collections/500-series/products/eqp5-passive-eq-kit

It might seem like a simple EQ but its very powerful. Though its more of a tone shaper than a surgical. It works good on mono sources and perfect for bus duties.

From there Id move on to a CAPI kit like the LC40 or LC25 and/or the BT50. Those will also come with all the parts you need but are a bit more pricey and more parts and more difficult to build compared to the DIYRE stuff.

After that you should feel a little more confident in venturing into buying just PCB kits and sourcing your own parts with a BOM sheet. And you'll have lots of gear at that point for a faction of the cost. Cause you won't be building just two, once you start you'll want to keep building and building!

Happy soldering!

Back