Re: Townsend Labs Sphere Hacking
« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2019, 04:43:43 PM »
It is capsule from a Dave Pearlman mic.

rmaier

« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2019, 04:52:29 PM »
Kind of amazing that your 797/Townsend simulation hangs with the Pearlman (along with your other comparisons).
"Even if you don't know where the destination is of the sounds that you originate, it's worth getting it right at the start." - Rupert Neve

« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2019, 09:25:25 PM »
Ok, i've spent some time with AA Polar designer, and i have to say it is stunning. The one thing it does amazing is when dual out mic is used for snare drum, and hi hat bleed needs some extra control.

Naturally cardioid rejects most of  HH bleed. But as i usually boost snare around 8K, that bleed starts to sound unbearably thin, and piercing. So what you can do with AA Polar Designer is to switch low mid pattern control to OMNI, or F8, and that way you bring back direct signal from rear diaphragm in that range  and HH gets way warmer.  In a sense, the mic becomes both snare and HH mic.

Instead of gating snare one can embrace the bleed, control it, and use it creatively.  The same goes for any other instrument, or unwanted ambience coming into vocal mic.

« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2019, 03:53:36 AM »
I'm interested in trying the post production polar patterns. I knocked up a dual output microphone but it's not working, wonder if you have any tips kingkorg or anyone else?

I have a chinese u87 type mic and I bought a second amp board to stuff in there, then swapped the 3 pin xlr for a 5 pin xlr, wired up both boards to the 5 pin which terminates with two 3 pin xlrs, one for each board.   Both amps are wired to either side of a k67 capsule and they share the same backplate connection.

I'm getting output from both sides BUT each channel is giving me the sum of both sides. I.e. I get both sides of the capsule at a similar level in both outputs. I'm definitely getting both sides of the capsule because I can switch on either side (by applying or removing phantom power) and each amp only works with it's appropriate side of the capsule when it's the only amp turned on. But when both are turned on, both my xlrs are outputting both sides of the capsule.

I noticed you said in your other thread that the backplates don't need to be electrically isolated so not sure what to try adjusting. Any thoughts??

« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2019, 04:06:22 AM »
This is the amps I'm using btw, if it helps:

https://detail.1688.com/offer/565714684246.html

« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2019, 04:12:26 AM »
Oh and I'm getting the same signal in both xlr's, the phase cancel each other

« Reply #26 on: June 27, 2019, 04:15:04 AM »
The orignal capsule in the mic was one sided, or at least only one side had a diaphragm wired. So maybe the circuit is omni by default because it wouldn't matter for a cardiod only setup? So two omni signals that are the same? But how is each side getting the omni signal when each side is only connected to one half of the capsule? I am baffled...

« Reply #27 on: June 27, 2019, 05:56:14 AM »
How are the capsules polarized? Are backplates polarized, or diaphragms?

I can't see what is going on with the circuit, the page you shared is all in Chinese.

« Reply #28 on: June 27, 2019, 07:06:26 AM »
I will ask the vendor for a schematic. I thought that because it's a cardiod only mic there might be no polarization but you're right I probably need a schematic to get this figured out

rmaier

« Reply #29 on: June 27, 2019, 08:47:33 AM »
Sounds like the same problem I ran into using a pair of Pimped Alice boards, where the schematic called for a polarized backplate. I ended up reversing the polarity of both capsule sides and everything works as expected.
"Even if you don't know where the destination is of the sounds that you originate, it's worth getting it right at the start." - Rupert Neve

« Reply #30 on: June 27, 2019, 08:55:44 AM »
Rmaier you're exactly right! Swapped the polarity and all working correctly now. You made my day. Kingkorg your correction curve is also working great despite the different circuits and capsule I used. My mic flat and then the u87 modeling with the correction curve applied before sound very similar so I'd say it's in the ballpark. Enough to get some interesting tones out of the modeling anyway. This should be fun!

« Reply #31 on: June 27, 2019, 09:06:56 AM »
Glad you resolved it. My circuit polarizes the diaphragm, so i guess it doesn't work the other way around.

I look forward to hear how are your thoughts on the thing.

« Reply #32 on: June 27, 2019, 11:21:41 AM »
Yep yep, my friend has a Townsend sphere so see if I can do some comparisons

« Reply #33 on: June 27, 2019, 05:48:04 PM »
Well the best thing you can do is to measure his mic against yours and come up with exact curve for your capsule. Just one side is enough, cardioid, without Sphere VST.

Just set them at exact same spot in front of a speaker and play pink noise. Lets say 40 cm away from the speaker. Then use something like CurveEQ from Voxengo to measure the difference in responses. The curve you get is the one you should use instead of mine before the plugin.

Sadly i don't know anyone in Norway who has this mic, otherwise it would be a child's play to clone it.

If he allows you, you can as well measure the response of the circuit by injecting a signal into capsule/pcb connection spot.

rmaier

« Reply #34 on: June 28, 2019, 03:10:48 PM »
Hey mickdundee63, glad it's working. Please let us know if you have a chance to compare it with your friend's mic.

« Reply #35 on: June 29, 2019, 11:36:31 PM »
I think he might be reluctant to let me under the hood for warranty reasons but I will ask him and I will definitely try the eq matching