mks

Re: Townsend Labs Sphere Hacking
« Reply #40 on: April 23, 2020, 01:41:55 PM »
Thanks kingkorg. Makes total sense that assembling omni from two capsules would be a totally different thing. I guess my mission would be to try and find a filter circuit that gets as close as possible. Then filter further before the plugin (or not at all). For two reasons: I'd like to be able to use the mic without being in it's naturally overly bright state...that and I'd have to essentially go right into the plugin when running it on UA hardware (to take advantage of the low latency monitoring I've become accustomed to).

benqbasic

« Reply #41 on: April 30, 2020, 10:11:00 AM »
Hope these pictures help. They are from their fb page btw.

https://imgur.com/HzvtKrh

and

https://imgur.com/85IGoKY

and 767

https://imgur.com/2SSqWAY
« Last Edit: April 30, 2020, 10:14:47 AM by benqbasic »

dab0815

« Reply #42 on: July 01, 2020, 02:56:14 PM »
sorry if i sound stupid. but afaik the behringer b2 pro also features a 797 k67 capsule. and it got a dual membran design. couldnt that be easily modded to become dual output and match the sphere mic? or am i completely off here?

EDIT: ok ive seen now that you need two sperate PCBs (one for each  output) for the dual output concept to work and the behringer b2 pro needs already both pcb spaces for a single output to work.
so i think you need to swap the two pcbs against two sperate output pcbs for the concept to work. right?
« Last Edit: July 01, 2020, 03:13:31 PM by dab0815 »

« Reply #43 on: July 01, 2020, 03:26:29 PM »
I have modded a B2 for this purpose. I used two identical pcb's from two different B2s, but i got rid of DC-DC converter on one side.  A sacrifice i had to make. However i did get more headroom, but slightly more noise because of lower polarisation voltage. I use that mic as drum room, guitar cab, vocal mic on loud sources. So the noise isn't an issue.  A lot of mics don't have an DC-DC converter and work just fine.

dab0815

« Reply #44 on: July 02, 2020, 05:42:13 PM »
so you ditched one of the pcbs that include the dc dc converter from each mic and just used the others right?
did you do any mods to the b2 pro pcbs?

which of your mics is more usable as a sphere clone?

id like to build me a sphere clone for vocal recordings but i never build a diy mic before. i can soldier a lil bit and i am confident i  could make one myself but i think i would need a step by step build documentation or something..
« Last Edit: July 02, 2020, 05:55:04 PM by dab0815 »

« Reply #45 on: July 02, 2020, 07:03:38 PM »
I wouldn't recommend B2 then. You would have to provide source of polarisation, and mod the black box under the head of the mic, wire the pins differently.

I can't provide you with exact instructions. But simplest way i did that is with two PCB's of MXL601 type. You can use the PCB's from Takstar CM60. They are dirt cheap, have schoeps circuits with the converters on each. And you are left with two capsules you can use or sell. Place them in any mic body they can fit. Connect grounds from both and ground backplate of the capsule.

Use 5 pin XLR  for connection, with breakout cable to two regular XLRs. Or if you don't care for aesthetics, just use two cables soldered to PCBs and two XLRs on the other side.

The best variant i've made is very custom. It has variable polarization voltage up to 120v. And custom, very large headbasket for minimal reflections within, and damping under the capsule. Schoeps circuit biased for minimum THD, with some common tuning stuff found on this forum.

I have also done fine tuning of IR(corrective EQ) for every capsule and best results. At this point i believe my emulations are actually closer than the original.

However if any of this is super audible i am not sure, all of this is precision measured, but in the end simplest method i used in the beginning is probably just as good.  Later work might be an overkill.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2020, 07:09:47 PM by kingkorg »

« Reply #46 on: July 25, 2020, 11:31:29 AM »
Has anyone tried using the MicrophoneParts multitrack circuit kit with the Sphere plugin (or contemplated using it)? I’m wondering if the corrective eq built into this circuit, paired with the 797 k67, could achieve similar results, but I haven’t looked too deeply into it. It’s sold out at the moment, but I’m considering giving it a try when it’s back in stock. https://microphone-parts.com/collections/mod-kits/products/multitrack-microphone-circuit-kit

« Reply #47 on: July 25, 2020, 06:50:24 PM »
It is difficult to know not knowing what RP circuit is like. But i see no reason why it wouldn't work with Sphere in general. How accurate emulations will be is questionable, but with some tweaking, measuring, comparing to real Sphere mic i am sure one can get good results.