Røde NT2 why two coupling caps?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kingkorg

I bought an older NT2(not A) and i am still thinking about what i might do with it.

However, looking at schematics, i cant find a reason for this second capsule coupling cap, marked with red in the picture.

Am i missing something? I know this isn't JW's best work, but come on? Just a brain fart?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190214-230943_Messenger.jpg
    Screenshot_20190214-230943_Messenger.jpg
    169.6 KB · Views: 54
For what it's worth, i have another NT2 schematic, see attached PDF.

Attachments

• RodeNT2.pdf
    32.2 KB · Views: 37
Still don't get what's going on. The capsule is polarized through R1(R32 Khron's schematic), the first capacitor blocks dc fed through R1(R32), so what is the other cap (C15 Khron's schematic) doing?

Three R1 resistors?

For the high pass and the switching used

R1 (1G) is connected to the wiper of R4 to the gate as the bias control.

It looks like it is easier to switch in the 20meg(high pass) R1 at the location in the schematic by adding a cap than switch it in across the 1G at the gate to wiper to form the high pass. You would need a greater number of pole switch to do this if you  want to connect the 20meg resistor  to the gate and wiper.

You can not switch the 20meg in at the capsule because it would form a DC voltage divider with the third R1 supplying the capsule voltage

R33 in Khron's link  is most likely 20meg not 20K

Well, if you look a bit more carefully, it's "20,000K", ie. 20 thousand K, which works out to exactly 20Meg :)

Gus said:
R33 in Khron's link  is most likely 20meg not 20K

I missed the k with a fast look

Do the posts help explain why?

Looks like cost and type of switch that was used and if you use an input coupling cap two caps should not make to much of a difference if the values are high enough and the type is a good .

Latest posts

Back