I want to replace all the weak points of the machine

Is the PSU a weak point in the KT-2A?

Thanks

abbey road d enfer

Re: Klark Teknik KT-2A
« Reply #82 on: July 31, 2020, 12:25:12 PM »
Is the PSU a weak point in the KT-2A?
+1
Who's right or wrong is irrelevant. What matters is what's right or wrong.
Star ground is for electricians.

« Reply #83 on: July 31, 2020, 12:42:01 PM »
Minor capacitor upgrades, and drip in optocell, and tubes is one thing. But, building a linear PSU is getting to the point in which you should probably sell the Klark Teknik and spend the money you want to use for modifications to build a clone yourself with all the parts you most desire. There is lots of opto builds on this forum.

abbey road d enfer

« Reply #84 on: July 31, 2020, 01:10:23 PM »
But, building a linear PSU is getting to the point in which you should probably sell the Klark Teknik and spend the money you want to use for modifications to build a clone yourself with all the parts you most desire.
The main point here is that no significant improvement is to be expected from replacing the PSU.
Today, for a designer, using an smps instead of a linear is not a matter of cutting cost at the expense of any loss of performance, it's just the way to go, as long as certain precautions are taken.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2020, 02:12:20 PM by abbey road d enfer »

« Reply #85 on: July 31, 2020, 01:31:38 PM »
The main point here is that no significant improvement is to be expected from replacing the PSU.
Tosay, for a designer, using an smps instead of a linear is not a matter of cutting cost at the expense of any loss of performance, it's just the way to go, as long as certain precautions are taken.

Totally agree. I like Linear PSU's. But I don't think it's a flaw in this unit.

Ryan

abbey road d enfer

« Reply #86 on: July 31, 2020, 02:03:16 PM »
Totally agree. I like Linear PSU's. But I don't think it's a flaw in this unit.

Ryan
In all honesty, I wouldn't be capable of designing an efficient smps, but good ones are commonly available and cheap.
When I replaced the linear psu with a bunch of these little 24V smps, in my latest build, I couldn't detect a iota of difference between them.
Also I have two 51X racks, one that uses the silentarts (linear) PSU and another that I power with 4 MeanWell smps and a DC/DC converter for phantom; I can't tell the difference between them in operation.
There's an old saying that goes "Everything is in the signal path, including the PSU". I never forget that, but it's important to know exactly which part of the PSU actually affects the signal and how. Power amps and "brute force" DOA output stages actually depend very much on their PSU for proper performance, but any well-designed low-power piece of gear relies on proper local decoupling.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2020, 02:11:45 PM by abbey road d enfer »

« Reply #87 on: July 31, 2020, 05:07:09 PM »
ok, thank you for your advice!!

PG_Sax

« Reply #88 on: August 01, 2020, 06:26:29 AM »
I have just finished a few upgrades on my KT 2A. I originally bought it around a year and a half ago with the idea of slowly changing bits and pieces to see what would happen.

I first changed the tubes and the photocell this was shortly after I got the unit.

Tubes - RCA / Telefunken - only audio path tubes.

Photocell - IGS

I have just changed the coupling capacitor and the transformers. Mundorf / Sowter.

I will post files to see what people think.

« Reply #89 on: August 05, 2020, 04:17:56 PM »
I've just ordered some Harma tubes for my KT-2a. Still torn which optocell to get.  I found another comparison of the Black Lion T4bla against the stock T4. Here is the link :-

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/16_CwJ1MHZlQyyP4p5luIYNqrNVdOgg3p?usp=sharing

Which clip do you prefer?

« Reply #90 on: August 05, 2020, 07:44:00 PM »
I've just ordered some Harma tubes for my KT-2a. Still torn which optocell to get.  I found another comparison of the Black Lion T4bla against the stock T4. Here is the link :-

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/16_CwJ1MHZlQyyP4p5luIYNqrNVdOgg3p?usp=sharing

Which clip do you prefer?

I imagine a is the stock cell? It sounds more relaxed.

Honestly, who wouldn’t want them a switch. That being said, for what I bought it for, which is a clean/quiet optical compressor, i’m happy keeping the stock unit until Uri decides to put out a three pack for 50 bucks...