DIY test equipment

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interesting design, but IMHO the lorlin type rotary switches will not last long, especially in HT and heaters positions.
The initial heater current for some output tubes is way over the lorlins current rating. 

ruffrecords said:
What surprises me is the guy can afford an A0 plotter yet he etched his own PCBs.

Cheers

Ian

I think for the "craftsman" type like this, going PCBs from a fab would be heresy.  ;D

I etch PCBs for projects where it probably many wouldn't... like industrial applications where PCB costs wouldn't be a problem, but for me delay times are usually way too long, and I can be mounting components on the etched PCB an hour after design is ready.

I'd run 3 prototypes in a night for small things when time is tight, good luck doing that with production PCBs, and for one offs, friendly PCBs like that project, no brainer.

JS

I see all the switches along the bottom for tube pinout configuration - was this based on an existing tube tester? That would make it easy to use the printed "database" of the original and all the tube types it gives.

If I were me I'd absolutely use a microcontroller and a bunch of relays and/or transistors and mosfets to do the same thing. You could "scroll through" a small display that shows each tube type, scrolling through by sorted type number, or by the most common types (12ax7) first. The whole database would be in program memory.

Latest posts

Back