• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Group DIY and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

FT: Vintage clear-potted JH 990

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OneRoomStudio

GDIY Supporter
I have a cool old clear-potted John Hardy 990. Unfortunately for me, it's a 24V version, and most of what I'm building lately is in 500 series format, so it does me no good. Anyone want to trade a 990C or maybe a pair of something like gar2520's or gar1731's for it? It's a cool piece of history, looks cool, and functions exactly like a 990C (but only at +/- 24V).

Are your sure about this?

I bought some 990's directly from JH years ago, and while they do work fine at +/-24V, they also worked down to at least 16V if memory serves.

You might try calling him directly - he's super friendly and can tell you one way or the other.

Mike

Phrazemaster said:
Are your sure about this?

I bought some 990's directly from JH years ago, and while they do work fine at +/-24V, they also worked down to at least 16V if memory serves.

You might try calling him directly - he's super friendly and can tell you one way or the other.

Mike

Thanks Mike. I already talked to John about this one. It's not the 990C version that works at multiple voltages, it's the earlier 990 version (no "C"), that only works at the specified voltage. This one happens to be a 24V version.

To quote John:

"The clear 990 is not a "C" version. If it was a "C" version, it would say "990C" (or, "990C+" for the latest variation  -- see the 990 data package for details). The clear 990 is the "original" version, so it is designed to work at specific power supply voltages. On the bottom of the clear 990 it will show the power supply voltages it is intended to work at, either "12V", or "15V", or "18V", or "24V", meaning +/-12VDC, +/-15VDC, etc. The "C" version has additional circuitry so that it can operate over a wide range of power supply voltages, anywhere from +/-12VDC to +/-24VDC.

The clear 990 and the 990C should work identically, assuming you run the clear 990 at the proper power supply voltages.

They were manufactured from 1979 until about 1988 when I decided to use an aluminum potting shell for each 990. The two large output transistors of the clear 990 are plainly visible. For the "C" version those two transistors were moved to the edge of the circuit board so they could be in direct contact with the wall of the potting shell for maximum heat-sinking. It is not as fun to look at as the clear 990s, but it is a better package thermally."

OneRoomStudios said:
Thanks Mike. I already talked to John about this one. It's not the 990C version that works at multiple voltages, it's the earlier 990 version (no "C"), that only works at the specified voltage. This one happens to be a 24V version.

To quote John:

"The clear 990 is not a "C" version. If it was a "C" version, it would say "990C" (or, "990C+" for the latest variation  -- see the 990 data package for details). The clear 990 is the "original" version, so it is designed to work at specific power supply voltages. On the bottom of the clear 990 it will show the power supply voltages it is intended to work at, either "12V", or "15V", or "18V", or "24V", meaning +/-12VDC, +/-15VDC, etc. The "C" version has additional circuitry so that it can operate over a wide range of power supply voltages, anywhere from +/-12VDC to +/-24VDC.

The clear 990 and the 990C should work identically, assuming you run the clear 990 at the proper power supply voltages.

They were manufactured from 1979 until about 1988 when I decided to use an aluminum potting shell for each 990. The two large output transistors of the clear 990 are plainly visible. For the "C" version those two transistors were moved to the edge of the circuit board so they could be in direct contact with the wall of the potting shell for maximum heat-sinking. It is not as fun to look at as the clear 990s, but it is a better package thermally."
I  stand corrected. Thx for the informative response.

I would be happy to trade a working gar2520 for this. I would really like to have two, if you happen to know where another one can be found!

Latest posts

Back