Geffel M582 popping

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nanitlig

I have a Geffel M582 tube SDC that belongs to a client.  It very intermittently produces a popping/ticking sound, like an idling two-stroke engine.  Audio still passes when the noise starts up.  I haven't been able to get it to happen on the bench, but my client provided an audio clip of the sound.  I thought I would ask around the community before I dive in to this rabbit hole, as it doesn't seem to happen often.

Thanks.  I will order a new tube for it.  I've heard that dust, or things like residue from humidity on the diaphragm can produce popping.  I will also clean the tube socket and the connector pins, cable sockets etc..

Nanitlig said:
I have a Geffel M582 tube SDC that belongs to a client.  It very intermittently produces a popping/ticking sound, like an idling two-stroke engine.  Audio still passes when the noise starts up.  I haven't been able to get it to happen on the bench, but my client provided an audio clip of the sound.  I thought I would ask around the community before I dive in to this rabbit hole, as it doesn't seem to happen often.

Do you have another capsule to screw on and try? That sounds like the diaphragm could be sucking against the backplate if it’s worn out or has pinholes. Perhaps a close look at the diaphragm under magnification  is in order.

Back