Phrazemaster

Recommend a Decent 12 - 16 Ch Mixer
« on: February 22, 2019, 09:18:07 PM »
Hi all,

At my church we have an aging Mackie board that someone recently decided to twist off many of the fader knobs   :o

The church decided to get a new board, and the sound guy, who is quite set in his ways and not amenable to anything he hasn't come up with, recommended we get a Behringer Xenyx X2442 UAB, here:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/X2442USB--behringer-xenyx-x2442usb-mixer-with-usb-and-effects

Being somewhat of a Behringer snob, I recommended against it due to several pointed reviews on this unit, as well as Behringer in general. I recommended a Soundcraft:

https://www.harmanaudio.com/soundcraft/Signature+12.html?cgid=soundcraft&dwvar_Signature%2012_color=Dark%20Blue-GLOBAL-Current#start=1

I'm wondering if you have any experience with either of these boards, or have another recommendation on a decent board that will last a few (like 10+) years at a church. We don't need a ton of inputs, but (to me) quality and reliability are key.

The sound guy likes the lights on the Behringer, and how it exactly fits into a special box in the sound room.  I like the high quality preamps and effects of the Soundcraft, as well as the overall excellent reputation.

Thanks,

Mike
** * Kablooie!

scott2000

Re: Recommend a Decent 12 - 16 Ch Mixer
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2019, 03:37:51 PM »
No experience here but, I read some of the new "Behringer mixers " , not this one, may have some Midas influences??? from the takeover.... maybe not.....

......and I've read a couple issues with some new Soundcraft quality but, it was not across the board....

A&H makes nice stuff too..... I'm only experienced with a few small mixers but, out of them all, I think I liked the A&H more although the small Soundcraft I used never had any issues where the A&H had to have some faders replaced..... after a few years....

but this was many years ago.....

Maybe you can do a 30 day trial of both and take back the one that you don't fancy more???

Phrazemaster

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2019, 03:58:49 PM »
Thanks for your thoughts Scott.

My concern is getting a unit that will need replacing in a year or two. I know every company makes a few lemons.
** * Kablooie!

JohnRoberts

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2019, 05:09:01 PM »
Thanks for your thoughts Scott.

My concern is getting a unit that will need replacing in a year or two. I know every company makes a few lemons.
I hate to miss an opportunity to piss on Behringer, ( and their behavior decades ago was less than admirable) but after becoming king of the hill they get to buy out competitors instead of ripping them off. They only wish buying Midas turns all the behringer value mixers into little midases but it reflects the difference in market strength and profitability.

Don't tell anyone I said this and if asked I will deny I said this, but the behringer value product is probably comparable to other similar mixers. If even a small fraction of their products suffered from manufacturing issues they wouldn't be king of the hill, so profitable they can buy out other classic badges.

Look at similar feature sets and make your choice based on what you need. If worried about getting a lemon maybe look at used equipment market... Too many used mixers too cheap suggests maybe a problem.

For the church market some companies even make (made?) specialized church versions (like Peavey). There are multiple forums related to church sound where users share experience.

https://forums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/board,8.0.html

While there is probably overlap with fixed install for church sound
https://forums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/board,33.0.html

I'm sure there are more forums and large manufacturer's probably have church sub-forums.

JR 

John Roberts
http://circularscience.com
Tune it, or don't play it...

Phrazemaster

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2019, 10:15:03 PM »
Many thanks JR for the inside scoop and excellent suggestions.

I’m pleased because the sound guy has come around a little. At least he’s looking at other brands.

Thanks,

Mike
** * Kablooie!

Potato Cakes

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2019, 12:58:27 AM »
I use an Allen and Heath ZED 12 channel guy for small production stuff and the channel section and effects sound really nice. However for a comparable desk to the Behringer you posted it would cost several hundred more. Plus, the feature set on the Behringer is a bit more comprehensive than other mixers in that price range and size, so if you need flexibility it's kinda hard to beat that. The Soundcraft you posted the link to will more than likely sound a bit better compared directly to the Behringer, but unless you're using a high quality PA system with high fidelity sound reproduction, you may not notice to big of a difference. To echo JR's sediments, I'm not a fan of the business practices of a China based company, but their current offerings are pretty comparable to the rest of the market for that size of desk.

I will say this, if the effects on board are anything like the X-32 then they will sound awful, especially the reverbs. I believe if effects are something you will find yourself using then you will be very disappointed in the Behringer offerings.

I hope this helps. If not, I hope it didn't hurt...

Thanks!

Paul

Phrazemaster

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2019, 03:41:53 AM »
Awesome Paul, I appreciate the weigh in!

The sound guy said tonight he had changed his mind and wanted a Mackie VLZ 1642.

I know Mackie aren’t perfect but I’m breathing a sigh of relief...

Thanks guys for your support; I’ll let you know what we end up getting.

Best,

Mike
** * Kablooie!