Simple solid state circuit for K67?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From PSW's Klays Heyne's forum thread "Capsule resonance and equalization":
"One of my preferred ways to make china mics a bit more useable (mostly for live sound were it sometimes happened the bandmembers kick and throw mics around) is just by simply enlarging the breathing hole, with a needle to reduce the cussion (do not try this at home)....
Best regards,
Oliver"

What does this do, shift the resonance frequency upwards? Anyone with cheap chinese capsules?
The resonance cannot be EQ'ed away leaving the captured audio intact.

Which "breathing hole" is that about? And is that on / about a K67-type capsule, or some SDC?

Doesn't do absolutely anything good. Pure BS! I have never seen that breathing hole on an original k67 membrane!

This can affect low end a bit but it will f*# up pattern response, and you let air behind capsule escape. Which is essential for capsule functionality.

There is no way one can do this precisely, and it absolutely doesn't do anything for resonance.

You can cut a piece of backplate spacer out like its done in original u87, but it will not do anything for high end again.

You can play with backplate spacer thickness, this affects high end response, but we are talking 5-10 micrometers of difference. Increase it for that much.

I have to mind you Klaus tests frequency response by speaking into a mic with headphones on. He has stated so many crazy stuff he should be forbiden to mention any microphone ever again. Just MHO.

This is something Klaus does as well. It is going to cost you the price of chinese capsule, so you might just try it yourself.

The legend goes there is a microscopic hole on one or both membranes  of the original k67 capsule. It is located in clear area of the membrane betwen gold layer and tension ring. If one makes a tiny hole in this area on chinese one miracles happen.

Of course one has to do it in a way that mylar in the punched area doesnt touch backplate after "intervention".

I would guess, in order to increase the odds of success, one would need to pierce that hole around the middle of one of the drill-holes nearest to the edge.

kingkorg said:
This is something Klaus does as well. It is going to cost you the price of chinese capsule, so you might just try it yourself.

The legend goes there is a microscopic hole on one or both membranes  of the original k67 capsule. It is located in clear area of the membrane betwen gold layer and tension ring. If one makes a tiny hole in this area on chinese one miracles happen.

Of course one has to do it in a way that mylar in the punched area doesnt touch backplate after "intervention".

kingkorg said:

:eek: I had never heard of this????? Is there actually a hole in the membrane?

Latest posts

Back