Knob....How big is too big?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RSRecords

Thinking about using a 20mm wide knob on a front panel of a 500 series preamp. It's the only knob on the unit. Does that seem too big? It fits but aesthetically what do you think?

JohnRoberts said:
do you like it?

JR

I guess if the OP ask that's because he have a doubt  8)

So RS ! let us see this knob, we will push you to like it  ::)

Best
Zam

Heh...
Aluminum...nice knob. Just seems a touch wide but maybe not...

Attachments

• 6BD99EE8-6738-4C1E-A973-543F90014514.jpeg
    6BD99EE8-6738-4C1E-A973-543F90014514.jpeg
    779.1 KB · Views: 11
Optimal knob size depends on the context, bigger is generally better unless there are too many knobs too close together to access comfortably.

Also there is a tend to differentiate between knob size based on application... bigger for more important commonly used controls and smaller for less frequently used trims.

Finally, how does it look... ? Many people listen with their eyes so if making the Nth clone of something maybe stick with original layout and sizes. If designing something novel you have a green field, and you are in charge. (You are always in charge, unless dependent on others to buy these, then they are in charge.)

JR

500 series gear is 1.5 inches wide which is close to 38mm. A 20mm diameter knob therefore leaves 9mm on each side if the knob is placed centrally. That is plenty of room to include any legend and also means there is an 18mm gap between adjacent knobs if you have two such units side by side in a rack. I would that size is fine.

OTOH if you look a many 500 series modules they do seems to cram as many controls as they can onto the front panel and the typical knob width is no more than 15mm sometimes rather less. SO if you wanted to be in keeping with other typical modules in the rack you might choose to make it smaller than 20mm.

Cheers

Ian

Awesome thanks for the insight everyone. I was curious to get some views on the matter. I actually went into read  a Report from the 50s about cockpit controls knobs and knob classification through shape. Very interesting in terms of a large format mixer....or flight deck. I’ll see if I can find the link.

RSRecords said:
Awesome thanks for the insight everyone. I was curious to get some views on the matter. I actually went into read  a Report from the 50s about cockpit controls knobs and knob classification through shape. Very interesting in terms of a large format mixer....or flight deck. I’ll see if I can find the link.
The general topic is ergonomics or human factors engineering. In cockpit design, control recognition and access can be a life or death matter.

There are multiple factors to weigh for less serious design choices... what looks cool, and what is easy to use. For many conventional products there are defacto look and feel approaches.

Sometimes you want to look different, sometime you just want to squeeze as many controls as you fit in a finite space.. like most mixers.

JR

I guess one thing to consider is, what is the gap between knobs with a few 500 modules side by side.  If a thumb can't pass between them, then perhaps go smaller.  Or just have the end user suck it up and deal with smaller adjustments. I don't think anyone would gripe about it if the unit's sound meets expectations.

EmRR said:
If you have 11 of the same module with that knob on it, how does it feel?
That's would be a good test. My problem is deciding on the spacing of the front panel dial around the knob. I went with just large enough for the 20mm at ~22mm but if I decide on something a touch smaller it won't look wrong. Anyway I figure if I went with something else it'd probably have a 20mm skirt.

Anthon said:
Huge knobs are only allowed on tube gear.  8)
Not anymore!! viva revolution! though 20mm is not that big.

Back