Project : gssl and dla-2a in the same chassis

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hugo

Hi,
I am launching a project because i have this "mixbuzz" and dla2a pcbs here, and some blank chassis, spares, etc...
In my mind, chaining 2 pcbs inside a common chassis is the same as chaining 2 units with xlrs, but maybe i am wrong..?

- Could i connect the out xlr Hot and cold straight to the input of the dla2a pcb ?
- Could i connect both torroidals to the same IEC inlet ?
- How to implement a switch for swapping the 2 units in the chain ?

Thanks all

Why would you want to do that? It's a bit like owning two  bicycles and liking to ride them both -- and then thinking about welding them together. Is it for cost?

Can it be done? If you have the space inside a chassis to fit it all, it can be done.  It does not mean that you should do it.  What is the purpose of such an endeavor?

Script said:
Why would you want to do that? It's a bit like owning two  bicycles and liking to ride them both -- and then thinking about welding them together. Is it for cost?
Thanks for your support.
You all seems affraid by my idea, but the shadow hills mastering compressor is actually the same thing...  also, i love more 2 soft compressions than 1 hard, and vca + opto makes sense. Àd yes i have plenty of space i used a remaining chassis there.  Also seen here : https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJGy-_4UONU

Attachments

• 2283C2DB-A2E0-48CE-83DA-D7225B9C4AF8.jpeg
    2283C2DB-A2E0-48CE-83DA-D7225B9C4AF8.jpeg
    73.2 KB · Views: 14
hugo said:
Thanks for your support.
You all seems affraid by my idea, but the shadow hills mastering compressor is actually the same thing...  also, i love more 2 soft compressions than 1 hard, and vca + opto makes sense. Àd yes i have plenty of space i used a remaining chassis there.  Also seen here : https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJGy-_4UONU

We are not afraid of your idea. What you misunderstand is you want to combine a tube circuit and a solid state circuit in a box.  while yes the shadow hills compressor is a VCA and an OPTO it is not a tube circuit + a solid state circuit. You will also find that the VCA portion of the shadow hills is not a GSSL by a long shot. It is it's own thing just uses a VCA.  The same goes for the OPTo side of the shadow hills, it is not an LA2A tube circuit, just a solid state tube circuit.

pucho812 said:
We are not afraid of your idea. What you misunderstand is you want to combine a tube circuit and a solid state circuit in a box.  while yes the shadow hills compressor is a VCA and an OPTO it is not a tube circuit + a solid state circuit. You will also find that the VCA portion of the shadow hills is not a GSSL by a long shot. It is it's own thing just uses a VCA.  The same goes for the OPTo side of the shadow hills, it is not an LA2A tube circuit, just a solid state tube circuit.

I agree 100% . So why the tube/solid mix could be an issue ? Or is it just a strange idea ?

Just more flexible as two separate units. Could patch in an EQ between them, for example.

Script said:
Relays for swapping order.

would you have some ref for a such purpose ?  So 1 relay for input, 1 relay for output conected to the same switch would be a good idea ?

Ok i finished the first floor, and i have a question about metering.
How to display the total compression of 2 different modules on a single meter..? Is it possible easily ?
Thx

no, not in any easy way - you may notice that GSSL calls for a DC-reading 1mA meter, where the LA2 wants a AC-reading VU-meter..

That said, you can always do your own compromise between scales, readings, and calibration

gyraf said:
no, not in any easy way - you may notice that GSSL calls for a DC-reading 1mA meter, where the LA2 wants a AC-reading VU-meter..

That said, you can always do your own compromise between scales, readings, and calibration

Yes i have some buffers pcbs to use, i think it can make them matching.  The problem is to display the total gr, i dont know if the shadow hills has got this option

Latest posts

Back