Next Behringer Mastering Eq ? Klark Teknik DN410 (…. any diy ? )

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kingston said:
get used to it: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Post-scarcity_economy

And read some Iain M. Banks for a glimpse of possible futures.
Interesting theory, but "post scarcity" assumes free/cheap raw materials and energy and we don't seem close to that, while energy is cheaper than it was (and could be even cheaper). 

In some regards we are already post scarcity when it comes to inexpensive goods.  Recording capability (like studio time) used to be highly valued, now the capability is widely available (while you get what you pay for).

JR

dmp said:
I've heard the Behringer Model D is pretty good.  But that video is comparing it to a reissue Moog - not a vintage one.
Kingston said:
Nobody gives a f**k except some collectors. There's now a minimoog for cheap. Same for those compressors. It will sell incredible amounts and the collectors will complain more. They sound the same. End game.

My point was that it is more a clone of a clone.  I would bet the reissue minimoog is not exactly the same as an original, component wise.  Maybe they sound close, but the reissue uses modern parts and complies with current regs like ROHS etc..  so it's not unbelievably surprising a smd auto assembled Behringer will sound close to the Moog reissue.
In a short amount of time (maybe already) a software minimoog will sound as good. Then the Behringer (and other hardware clones) will be obsolete.
The collectors don't care.  The idea of having the real deal will always appeal to some.
The clones however are on a fast depreciation curve.

rob_gould said:
Just sticking with Behringer synths for a minute though, it's worth mentioning their new designs.  Both the Neutron (which I own) and the Deepmind (which I don't) are great machines which are not copies of anything (yes - there's some Juno influence in the Deepmind).  When you then add the low price into the equation, they're really, really good.  I'm certainly not defending Behringer's business practices here, but the days of slagging off their crappy products and low quality is long gone it would seem.
Uli is reportedly a keyboard player so may have a personal interest in such products. He wouldn't be the first frustrated musician in the gear business.

JR

PS: Behringer long ago ran out of obvious category killers to copy (copying old legacy products is a new twist on that old recipe). Along the way he has accumulated engineering talent from sundry companies they acquired. This too is a logical progression or evolution. He has worked to rehabilitate his company reputation for over a decade. The good news for him is new young customers don't know the history, and us old farts are dying off.

dmp said:
My point was that it is more a clone of a clone.  I would bet the reissue minimoog is not exactly the same as an original, component wise.  Maybe they sound close, but the reissue uses modern parts and complies with current regs like ROHS etc..  so it's not unbelievably surprising a smd auto assembled Behringer will sound close to the Moog reissue.
In a short amount of time (maybe already) a software minimoog will sound as good. Then the Behringer (and other hardware clones) will be obsolete.
The collectors don't care.  The idea of having the real deal will always appeal to some.
The clones however are on a fast depreciation curve.
+1.. the old analog synths were notorious for drift and temperature sensitivity. Modern designers could no doubt improve upon the old platforms.

JR

JohnRoberts said:
+1.. the old analog synths were notorious for drift and temperature sensitivity. 
Not only that but most would need a rebuild at this point to be really healthy. Custom parts (especially sliders) are not always available. I restored a juno a few months ago and it was way too labor intensive because all the faders needed to be overhauled.

JohnRoberts said:
Modern designers could no doubt improve upon the old platforms.
But what about longevity? Robustness? A key characteristic of a lot of the great gear was it was quality built - and would last decades. 
Modern designers are not instructed by companies to make things last. In fact the opposite. They are told to cut costs.
Modern products are cheap and disposable.

Latest posts

Back