Lower back pain after soldering

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ergonomics is something I've worked a lot on for computer usage.  But I solder rarely so haven't considered it much in that aspect,  plus  I underestimated the potential for back injury from sedentary activity.  A (painful)  lesson learned for the future.

Regarding fume extraction I use an inexpensive table top model,  it certainly helps but you need to be close to it.  You also want to be in a well ventilated room.

IIRC, someone showed that solder fumes contain no tin or lead because the evaporation temperatures of those heavy metals is far above the point used for soldering.

Sight of relief.  Worried about that lately.  As for an extractor, a little fan does help.  At your local computer store (Frys, Microcenter, etc) they have standard 170mm PC fans that are USB powered, with little wire legs to stand it upright. No filter on the end, but it decently draws the smoke away for about $7.

I sprained / strained my groin pretty badly recently, and I found a tens unit really helped dealing with the pain.  For me, the effects were fairly long lasting, an hour or two in the evening before bed would leave me feeling pretty good for most of the next day.

I had a lead test (blood drawn) last year.  Was barely detectable, 1 mcg/dL.
I have done a lot of remodeling in an old house (lead paint) and soldering.
Don't eat while soldering - wash your hands when you're done.
The fumes might have other nasty stuff in them though - depending on what kind you're using.

I prefer standing on an ergo mat and still take breaks. You have to have a comfortable setup that works for you. It’s also important to keep your shoulders low and blades together and not scrunch them. I learned that from a weight trainer and it is good advice for all activities.  I can knead bread all day and feel great afterwards.
My extractor is a 25 foot 8” flexible duct that is tie wrapped to my light at one end and a 8-12” flare/ 12” fan at the basement window at the other.  At work we have a similar setup with 4” flexi at RF soldering machines connected to a large ventilation  duct.
Mike
And +1 regarding yoga. Even a mild practice enhances all aspects of living

At my old job, the technicians we had started complaining of backache etc.
They were provided with Mantis microscopes, that would allow them to sit looking directly ahead, instead of hunching over.

They were AMAZING. Good for Through Hole and awesome for SMD work. But most of all, the lack of neck strain allowed the techs (and I, when they weren't available) to solder for an hour or two with little strain on the back.

Now. They aren't cheap. But they are a tool that will last you 20 years.

A new microscope is a good idea,  I remember now how much easier it is when you have a good one.

Is there something good in between Mantis and USB? I would imagine trying to solder while looking at a computer screen would be kind of weird, but have never tried it.

i have one of those magnifying cameras and a big display, and it's nothing like the mantis. It's not stereoscopic, so there's no real sense of depth, or even being able to sneak a look around the edge.

but, if push came to shove, and I preferred giving that kind of money to a doctor instead of Mantis, then you could use it. :)

Latest posts

Back