AKG P400 hum sound. Capsule replacement?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Figas

Greetings everyone!

I currently own a non modded AKG Perception 400 that recently started to produce a relatively low level hum.
I still haven't checked for grounding issues, as I already had with  a common SM58, but if it's a somehow broken capsule, what option do I have?
I cannot afford to buy a microphone parts RK 87 (unfortunately), but maybe another brand one?

Thanks in advance for your support!
Best regards!

I'd be quite shocked if the capsule was the source of that hum.

How about if you first DO check for grounding issues, hmm? ;) I'm just speculating, but it might be a more constructive path than just jumping to conclusions / panicking etc.

Any new lights / other electronics that might've been introduced around the same time as the hum started?
Have you tried different cables / preamps / interface inputs?

Khron said:
How about if you first DO check for grounding issues, hmm? ;) I'm just speculating, but it might be a more constructive path than just jumping to conclusions / panicking etc.

Yeah, will check for those asap. On my SM58, it was a loosen wire inside the mic.

Khron said:
Any new lights / other electronics that might've been introduced around the same time as the hum started?
Have you tried different cables / preamps / interface inputs?

Yep, tried all of that and still noise :\

The easiest way i've found to open my Perception 200's was with a pair of needle-nose pliers opened so the tips slot into the notches in the locking ring that's around the output XLR.

Crack the mic open, maybe post some photos of the insides...

Back