Insert Switch location

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ruffrecords

OK, so you have a modular mixer. Channel amps (think 1073) with balnced output connected to an insert. Insert return feeds a routing module with auxes and pan etc and lastly there is your fader.

So you want to be able to switch the insert in/out. The logical place to put this, from the point of view of technical convenience, is in the routing module because that is where the relay is that switches between the direct balanced out from the channel amp and the return from the insert. So at present that is where it is.

However, that may not be the most convenient place from the operational/ergonomic point of view. As it is only has  to operate a relay, the switch could be placed almost anywhere. So where would you prefer it to be? It could go in the channel module but that might mean losing an EQ option. My favourite option is to place it with the fader. Easy to reach when doing A/B comparisons and electrically quite close to the relay. If I said moving it here might free up room for a couple more AUX sends on the routing panel would that persuade you?

Cheers

Ian

The balanced insert looks perfect for slotting in comps or any other balanced studio gear  ,the hard bypass idea would seem good for series connected effects and A/B comparison ,but how would it work out if you only needed the pre fade balanced output as an effects send ,but still want direct  signal to the mixer stage  , would  the hard bypass switch also work as  mute on the send in the case of parallel or side chain efx processing ?

Hey Ian!

I rather like keeping the insert button near the channel input button at the top since it kind of implies where it is in the signal flow. But then again I've got a 500 slot, so channel faceplate isn't competing for eq switches.

If your insert button finds a home down by the fader,  I'd add some language that lets the operator know whether it is pre or post fade. 

If moving the insert switch meant getting an extra aux out of the bargain, I'd be happy even if it had to be under the armrest.  ;D

The logical place to put this, from the point of view of technical convenience, is in the routing module

Insert return at the head or tail of the module? I guess traditionally it would go before, so the fx is passed to aux as well.  But perhaps there's a scenario where you'd want the fx loop hitting  pgm/groups, but not the aux?  Oh, btw, do you have any stereo auxs?

It looks like I have not been clear enough about the signal flow. It is pretty traditional Neve style.  With the insert switched ON or IN it is:

MicPre-->EQ-->insert-->RoutingModule

And with the insert switched OFF or OUT is becomes:

MIcPre-->EQ-->RoutingModule

The fader is fed from and returned to the Routing Module. AUX sends are in the routing modules and can be either pre orpost fader. The MicPre and EQ are housed together in the channel module (a la Neve)

Cheers

Ian

You know that traditionally, on channels that use a single fascia, the Insert button (when there is one) is often located between near the EQ section. The reason is probably because it's operationally convenient and makes sense as it is a sound modifier. In terms of signal flow, this layout is not the most "logical", though. However, generations of SE's have happily complied with this arrangement.
I would say, place your insert button wherever it's convenient for you, as it makes the best use of the available real estate. Just make sure it's properly labelled and there is no risk to accidentally touch it.

it might be nice if someone put switches like this right in the patch bay on top of the patch points. That’s a bit buck wild though - it’s extra work for the design engineer

I usually look for it right up top but right near the fader is always convenient for anything. You don’t have to stand up

Latest posts

Back