laptop replacement battery

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gus

I need two replacement laptop batteries for HP laptops
I have bought one one line in the past from a company with a web reviews and it did not work well
So
Has anyone had a a good result ordering replacement laptop batteries from the web and if so what companies did you find to deliver  a good replacement?

> bought one one line in the past from a company with a web reviews and it did not work well

But you aren't going to tell us "who" so we can avoid them?

If it is less than 5 years old, open your budget and buy from the maker.

Past 5 years, they want you to buy a new laptop, so the batts fall out of stock. IMHO there's no good alternative.

Batt technology keeps changing. Even the same chemistry shifts to new specs. At this age, the original cell-types are no longer in production at major batt makers. So you get old cells, back-alley cells, or just wrong cells.

We have an older ThinkPad which was popping battery warnings. It actually has hardly ever run on battery, but the cells go bad with age. I believe the battery stabilizes the power, and reduces drama in a power failure/dip. I shopped. I found orig-spec batts for $16, and slightly up-spec batts for $94. Since wall-power here is OK, I got the $16. The batt monitor shows it is a hair shy of its spec, but it works, and I'm OK. This was on Amazon as "Futurebatt".

Past 12 years the situation changes. The few machines who have active fans that long (certain Palm Pilots, a couple Dell flagship flaptops) grow 3rd-party geeks who sell very nice battery-job kits. I once lived in an IBM Palm 505 and I kept it going that way a decade after it should have been scrapped.

In the states, Newegg is reputable but they don't keep a deep inventory of parts for older laptops.

In a pinch where quick turnaround is wanted, Amazon. If in desperation, ebay.  Of course make sure the seller allows returns.  :)

I am looking for a good replacement and asked here if anyone has bought from a company and was happy with the replacement.

Wife had an HP once -- Battery died -- she did extensive research for new battery  --  but laptop was somewhat old already -- battery prices were high -- wife not happy at all about it -- so she ended up buying a more up-to-date but different and, above all, cheaper brand laptop for on the go -- but also continued to use HP on wallwart only -- Laptop(batterie)s have somewhat short lifecycles :(

Not very helpful, I know.

I replaced batteries in two old Macbook Pro's once they hit the 700th cycle.  Bought them from Ebay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Genuine-A1417-OEM-Battery-For-Macbook-Pro-15-Retina-A1398-2012-2013-95WH/223268418753?epid=2087887583&hash=item33fbd5b4c1:g:jf4AAOSwDY5bckpV

No problems, although installation was an immense PITA.  Near as I can tell they are OEM batteries.  Seller is 'top-battery-store' and they appear to have many makes/models.

Latest posts

Back