New Shape blocks 94% of sound

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phrazemaster

Scientists have discovered a shape that blocks all sound–even your co-workers

https://www.fastcompany.com/90316833/scientists-have-discovered-a-shape-that-blocks-all-sound-even-your-co-workers

Wow!

When can we expect an array of these on studio walls?

In the video it appears the metamaterial was tuned to block a specific frequency.  Does it do broadband? Intuition says not without making many different spirals with different corkscrew patterns.

Edit: maybe after a number of turns, you can change the slope within the corkscrew and make more turns, catching the next frequency up, and so on.

boji said:
When can we expect an array of these on studio walls?

In the video it appears the metamaterial was tuned to block a specific frequency.  Does it do broadband? Intuition says not without making many different spirals with different corkscrew patterns.

Edit: maybe after a number of turns, you can change the slope within the corkscrew and make more turns, catching the next frequency up, and so on.
Yeah, I actually thought that this was pretty exciting too! That's why I posted it! There's sooooooooooooooo much we don't know...we don't know what we don't know, and it's all out there (or in here), waiting to be discovered...

I did some reading when I first came across this "scientific" publication.

It's definitely very narrow band. It could handle wider bands, by combining multiple units. However, each one has a depth of a few inches, which means it would become rather large.

It also only handles noise coming from a hole.

What is new, is the math behind it, allowing to automate 3D printing of noise supressors with a large opening. That opens up a lot of new applications for mufflers. Maybe we'll see it on jet engines, fi?

I still wonder why this shows up in a lot of places, while other science doesn't seem interesting.

There was a company exhibiting tranparent square building blocks for cubicles at NAMM. No details, but the marketing speak suggested it could be somehow related. Sorry, don't remember the name. Just wondering if anyone who visited NAMM spotted their presence?

Back