ruffrecords

Neutrik D-series latching tool
« on: March 11, 2019, 07:56:37 PM »
The Neutrik D-series XLR connectors are of a two part construction. - a  metal body and a slide in plastic inner. Once the two parts are put together you need a  long very skinny screwdriver to slip into a hole in the plastic part so you can turn al ever that locks the two parts together.  All my  long skinny screwdrivers with a fat enough handle to gibe enough torque to turn the lever are too large in diameter to fit into the hole. I have a jeweller's screwdriver that fits but its body diameter is so small I cannot get enough purchase to turn the rather stiff lever. At present I am reduced using a pair of pliers to turn it.

So the question is, what screwdriver or other tool do you use for this job?

Cheers

Ian
www.customtubeconsoles.com
https://mark3vtm.blogspot.co.uk/
www.eztubemixer.blogspot.co.uk

'The only people not making mistakes are the people doing nothing'

Gold

Re: Neutrik D-series latching tool
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2019, 11:27:16 PM »
I use Neutrik D series XLR’s. I’ve never thought I needed to take one apart. Why would you want to remove the plastic insert?

[silent:arts]

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2019, 01:28:35 AM »
I use Neutrik D series XLR’s. I’ve never thought I needed to take one apart. Why would you want to remove the plastic insert?
Ian is talking about the D-Series
Not to be confused with the DL-Series  ;)

Gold

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2019, 01:40:51 AM »
Ah,  there you go.

What sized flat blade are you using Ian?  If a 00 will work you could try PB Swiss Tools. They have a 00 with a 125mm blade and full sized handle.

Be careful though. If you like fine hand tools you may find yourself ordering the whole catalog.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2019, 01:44:34 AM by Gold »

pvision

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2019, 08:23:34 PM »
Those screws are hard to remove. If there's any side-loading on the insert they really don't want to come out. I just use a fairly wide jewellers screwdriver and tighten the screw a little before undoing it. I think they need a 90 degree turn to release

Nick Froome

ruffrecords

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2019, 03:58:39 AM »
It turns out '00' is the right size. Neutrik do a tool for this. It is only £2.02 from Canford:

https://www.canford.co.uk/Products/40-998_NEUTRIK-SD-1-SCREWDRIVER-For-assembly-of-D-series-PCB-mounting-connectors

but hey have a minimum order of £35 - now if only I had thought to buy the XLRs for this project from them.

Cheers

Ian
www.customtubeconsoles.com
https://mark3vtm.blogspot.co.uk/
www.eztubemixer.blogspot.co.uk

'The only people not making mistakes are the people doing nothing'