DIY Guitar Pickups

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kidtexas

Anybody know where to get materials to make your own guitar pickups. Mainly, what kind of magnets (type, size, etc) and material for the "bobbins"? I'm sure it'll sound like crap, but I have access to spools and spools of magnet wire and boatloads of time at work :p

Also, I can't remember who was winding their own transformers - any tips on building the little winding jig? Thanks!

This site sells pickup making supplies:

http://www.ampge.com/components.htm

Ampage has a link to this site as well a forum for any question you care/dare to ask.

Somewhere I have a link to homemade winding machines. I'll post it if I can find it.

I believe there's quite a good book available from Jason Lollar pickups with all the info on winding pickups, wiregauges and all the info. Believed to be a great book from what i've heard. Do a search under Jason Lollar pickups, i'll see if i can find it and post the info. Also includes pickup parts supplies i think.
Vikki(UK) :grin:

Oh yes, one more thing I nearly forgot, a good source for pickup parts is...

<drumroll please>

...dead pickups! Check with your local music store for any pulls of old or dead pickups that they've replaced. You might get a boxful for a very low price, or perhaps even free.

Latest posts

Back