Modular SDC adapter

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OneRoomStudio

GDIY Supporter
For a long time, I've been wanting to buy/make an adapter(s) that would allow different modular systems to mix. More specifically, it would be great to mount Neumann/Gefell/RFT  modular capsules  on Oktava MK-012 bodies, or other such combinations. Does anyone know the various diameters/threadings/connectors for these systems?

Have thought the same thing. In particular, using the good Schoeps capsules on a less expensive preamp body would save a few hundred bucks and sacrifice little or nothing. The Schoeps is a 20mm -- I can tell you that much, and sometimes you can find the thread spec on mics as well.

The capsules don't all take exactly the same polarizing voltage to the capsule, but that data is out there, of course.

I have made some great Frankenstein mics by mounting disparate capsules on preamp bodies. Sometimes very worth doing.

I've considered this too. And making a knee adapter too.

But not enough data, I'm afraid. Too much differences in electrical connections. I'm still open for suggestions, if anyone can supply the knowledge.

I have an Oktava MK-012 at home that I can try to measure, and I think I might have the head basket for a Gefell UM70-like mic that I might be able to get a measurement from. Any tips on determining the pitch/size of threading? I'm hoping I can maybe 3D-print a sleeve adapter, tap it with the correct threading on each side, and figure out some way to make the inner spring-pin mating. Maybe a copper sleeve surrounded by teflon?

craigmorris74 said:
Someone on this forum successfully built an adapter that allowed us to use AKG capsules on MXL bodies, so it can be done.

That 'someone' probably was I many years ago:))). Yes, the AKG CK60/61/62 work very nicely on MXL bodies with thread adapter. Moreover, I also made adapters for MXL bodies for using 1/2" measuring capsules like B&K4133, 4165, or Gefell M201/221. Those capsules can often be found on ebay for very reasonable price. The trick is to short dropping resistor at  the DC/DC converter, so the bias gets close to required 200V. Any of those would make an ultimate mic for relatively very modest price...

Best, M

Latest posts

Back