looking for something between a Dremel and a grinder

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andre tchmil

hi guys, I'm trying to expand my tool arsenal and am looking for an electric tool, something inbetween a Dremel and a small grinder.
For cutting pieces of aluminium, medium steel and such. Size does matter .

Something like this?
https://www.foredom.net/product-category/flex-shaft-tools/

I have one and use it constantly. One of the best purchases I’ve made. I have the TX . If I was going to buy again I’d get the LX which is high torque low speed.

hey , should this topic not be moved to the machine shop ?
anyway , the Foredom 2" angle grinder looks interesting. I wonder if Dremel has also something like that.
Or a standalone thing , maybe the same size.

I did some decent cuts with the Dremel discs  for metal, but boy are these expensive and they don't last long.

andre tchmil said:
oh oh oh .
I go with one of these. https://www.cromwell.co.uk/shop/power-tools/air-angle-grinders/***050m-50mm-mini-grinder/p/KBE2702090K

You know that requires an air compressor right? Air tools are generally single speed. Variable speed is better.

I have the angle grinder attachment for the 44T handpiece. I wouldn’t recommend it. It always works itself loose from the handpiece.  The mounting method could be a lot better.

I usually use a cutoff wheel on a standard mandrel. Generic cutoff discs are cheap. The Dremel branded ones with the special mandrel are much more expensive.

I burned out three Dremels before I got the Foredom. I haven’t burned out the Foredom.

All interesting info Paul.
Yes I have air pressure , sure you can adjust the speed, most of these tools have an adjustable valve . Lots of  tool options too

andre tchmil said:
Yes I have air pressure , sure you can adjust the speed, most of these tools have an adjustable valve .
And even if they don't, you can learn to modulate the trigger to control the speed. Actually the torque, since trigger valves and speed controls are generally on the inlet side, better speed control would be  realized by restricting the exhaust side.

Electric has better speed control, but the more you use and push them hard, the hotter they get until they burn out. Air tools get colder with use, until you have to put on gloves to protect from frostbite. They don't overheat and burn out.

Gene

So, what are you doing with it? And, what extra capability do you think you get by buying an additional tool?
Both a Dremel and angle grinder are fine tools, well suited to a variety of applications, even those which are better are better served with a dedicated tool, rather than something in between sizes.

If you have both of them, I'd look into an oscillating grinder such as:
https://fein.com/en_uk/oscillators/tools/fein-multimaster/
As this can reach in corners few other tools can.

But if you are using it for cutting material, a dedicated saw or milling machine?

Latest posts

Back