they don't get it...

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
benb said:
They're so big that they had to be mounted more forward on the wing (else they'd drag the ground).  This put them forward of the "balance point" of the plane so that an increase in thrust tends to make the plane's nose tilt uplward. The MCAS was effectively a patch for this.
Yes...

the MCAS system was to tweak the control response to "feel" like the old 737 air frame...hopefully to reduce the need for more extensive pilot training.  FWIW MCAS was not the critical fault but mishandling sensor failure(s) causing the flight computer to get faulty data, resulting in inappropriate autopilot commands.  Experienced pilots were able to figure out what was happening and disengage the MCAS, but a few tragically did not. 
Yeah, I think especially the Stealth bomber.  But then it's designed that way from the ground up, everything is very well tested, etc., etc., etc.
My point is that airlines will continue to pursue more fuel efficient flight platforms that will likely be less stable and more difficult to fly without cybernetic assistance. So I expect more computer involvement in control systems not less...
There's a longish and detailed thread on diyaudio, they trace (and there's some online article to this effect) the ultimate problem to a quarter century ago when Boeing was bought by and began to be run by finance people (and the corporate headquarters moved away from the plant) rather than engineers, thus the mission became making money rather than making good products.
There are many moving parts to the Boeing business including unions, a "can do" pilot culture, government regulators who were arguably dependent on Boeing engineers to understand the technology they were regulating, etc, far from that simple. 

Boeing management clearly made mistakes that are fairly easy to see in hindsight. They are now throwing themselves on the mercy of regulators to let them fly again. The critical problems have been fixed (I think) and they have been well punished, but it isn't finished yet.

JR

There's no end to this story. This time it's the 787 Dreamliner:

https://theaircurrent.com/aviation-safety/boeing-pulls-eight-787s-from-service-over-structural-issue/

Eight 787s have been pulled, due to structural issues.

The larger issue for the airline industry (Boeing and Airbus) is cancellations due to COVID impacted travel. This delay also gives China time to play catch up with their own airliner designs.

The MCAS issue is a convenient excuse to cancel Boeing orders.

I am still long Boeing stock and hope I live long enough for it to recover. If I don't that's the way the cookie crumbles.  8)

JR

The latest Boeing drama I heard about was finding two empty tequila bottles (those little miniatures) left behind inside the new air force one under development for President Biden. Since these planes are uber top secret technology platforms, some workers may get in deep sierra for that.

It's still a two horse race between Boeing and Airbus, china is still years away from being competitive internationally but they are already building planes for use inside China.

JR

PS: My boeing investment is not my best investment but I'm going to ride it into the ground. Even my gold and silver positions are under water right now. interesting times in the market.

And people think they can trust self driving cars?

I am still long Boeing stock. The new next generation air force one is still late with production issues. Long term they have a duopoly in large aircraft and the world is in recovery (except for china at the moment).

JR

Latest posts

Back