Hacking / re-purposing lab stuff

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That B*K meter with filter is a great kit.  and the microphones are George Massenburg’s go to standards for recording.

George Augpurger, the famous Acoustical Engineer from JBL,  used a filter set with 3 microphones and a calibrated voltmeter.  He would 1/3/oct filter pink noise and send it to the speakers and use the 3 mic setup to average the level to a calibrated Voltmeter to measure SPL. per band .  He would tune the speakers flat in the room in a painstaking 1/3 octave at a time.  He showed me how using filtered noise like that would rattle the room and you could pinpoint the noise rattles and where they were coming from and fix it.  That way you would find a multitude of problems while tuning the monitors and also hear minute problems in drivers that needed attention. 

I remember him tuning some in wall Altec 604's with sub woofers and I had  just installed new diaphragms in the HF drivers.  One of the 604's went out to 18Khz with the new diaphragm.  He made a famous statement," all you could hear at 18khz was amplified spit and sizzle"  I loved that comment. 

Latest posts

Back