Deriving 12.6 and 6.3 volts from a single transformer winding

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tubetec

I experimented with various transformers uptill this point ,but finally found a great big 500+Va unit from a 12v lead acid charger , it has a single secondary of around 16volts ac unloaded .

Ideally I'd like to create two 12.6volt dc rails off this , then regulate each line in turn down to 6.3v in the signal chassis .

Ive got some 7.5 amp LT1083 regulators with bridge rectifiers and smoothing on the board , can I simply connect two of these across my secondary winding , or do I need just one large bridge rectifier/smoothing  first ,
then spilt the dc to the pair of regulators ? 

I read on Merlins site about that having a ground reference before and after a regulator wont work , and causes a short , I had a feeling it didnt look right,but thanks Merlin for saving me the trouble .

Just for some backround , I need 2x6.3volt dc lines ,feeding the heaters of a 6AU6 and a 6L6 , so about 1,2A each ,
Id like the possibility of being able to provide power for a few other small 6.3 or 12.6 v devices off this same supply if the need arises,

Tons of juice in the big 500Va lump ,theres no question about that ,run cools and quiet as well which is great , but Im unsure about the best way to ground reference the regulator chains .

Before someone feels the need to mention ,I know its less efficient than I could do with two seperate windings of the correct voltage , but, I have large alu heatsinks which can dump any extra heat from the regulators , I get the benefits of two regulators worth of noise reduction on the raw dc signal ,which should make it a very quiet supply and I also save one gigantic chunk of iron from hitting landfill , I think the saving in terms of human energy ,materials and the environment  outweighs the power hungriness  of the 'Beastard'  , I'll  post a pic  to show progress soon .

Latest posts

Back