Short 2U case

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Murdock

Hey folks,

I'm searching a suitable case for a preamp project. It should be minimum 80mm and maximum 100mm deep. 
Something like the Hammond 5-350DGY2  would also be great but it's nowhere in stock and I'm not sure about the paint finish. Is it only the frontpanel? It's steel, so if I drill holes I have to somehow "treat" the bare steel again., right?
Also found the AllMetalParts.co.uk case which looks great but I don't like the way it's build together. You have to unscrew 10 screws to access the top or bottom or 6 screws to access the front...

So, does anyone know an alternative to those chassis? Aluminium would also be good.

I just bought a 2U rack box from Collective cases, but it does assemble with screws like you mentioned. The back box parts are steel, and the front panel is aluminum. The one I ordered was really deep because the PCBs I'm using are big, but he makes 5.5, 9, 11, and 14 inches. So the smallest one is about 140mm deep.

So far I like the one I got. I'm going to start drilling the front panel for switches and pots this weekend, and should be done with the build in a week or two.

Thanks alot for the suggestions!
The Holt Broadcast cases look interesting and the prices are also reasonable.

Back