Rode nt1 MOD

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sinkia

Hey Guys, been a long time !

I put my hands on a Rode NT1, the creamy grey one.
After a couple of hours on the web looking for mods & upgrade, I'm coming here at the end to ask some advises !

I have order a couple of sweet old mullard mustard 2200pF film cap, like Jim Williams advised, but I'm sure we can do better !

What capsule would you advice ? The one inside don't really inspire me to be trusted, and I'd like to upgrade it as well

Vintage 67 cap? 87?

Would you advise to do the grill mod as well ?
Change the JFET ?

Would love to have your advises !

Thanks everybody

Attachments

• Rode.jpg
    Rode.jpg
    761.9 KB · Views: 87
Since these use a Schoeps-type flat-response circuit, you'd likely be better served with a K47 or CK12-type capsule.

... Unless you like the stock brightness, that is.

Or actually, it might help to know what exactly you're aiming for (in case you know that yourself).

That mic is supposed to have 797 audio capsule, and the one found in your mic  looks like a Feilo capsule found usualy in Sterling and Groove Tubes. I wonder if the capsule has already been "upgraded".

Feilo capsules i have measured in the past are less bright than typical 797 k67 capsules, but are less consistent.

Some people are against that resonator disc, however i am not sure what it does. It is too close to the membrane to affect audible frequencies. Maybe transient response, resonance, or pattern. Or all of these.

kingkorg said:
That mic is supposed to have 797 audio capsule, and the one found in your mic  looks like a Feilo capsule found usualy in Sterling and Groove Tubes. I wonder if the capsule has already been "upgraded".

Feilo capsules i have measured in the past are less bright than typical 797 k67 capsules, but are less consistent.

Some people are against that resonator disc, however i am not sure what it does. It is too close to the membrane to affect audible frequencies. Maybe transient response, resonance, or pattern. Or all of these.

I have seen a couple of videos on the internet whith this capsule as well.. If I well remeber, there is 2 nt1 creamy, one with this capsule, and one with a 797 K67 one

kingkorg said:

IDK either ! I don't even have test the mic the way it is !
I'll give it a shot later :)

Khron said:
Or actually, it might help to know what exactly you're aiming for (in case you know that yourself).

I'm after a pretty open / airy sound, with nice low mids, and a really nice open top end. I've mixed a song recently, I recorded an amazing singer with a 251, and we had a Rap singer on it. Rap singing has been done with a Blue Dragonfly limited edition, the one with B6 capsule, and I must admit I have been really really impressed by the sound of this mic...

Khron said:
Since these use a Schoeps-type flat-response circuit, you'd likely be better served with a K47 or CK12-type capsule.

Does someone has the Schoeps circuitry ? I'm looking for the NT1 as well to compare !  8)

Sinkia said:
I'm after a pretty open / airy sound, with nice low mids, and a really nice open top end. I've mixed a song recently, I recorded an amazing singer with a 251, and we had a Rap singer on it. Rap singing has been done with a Blue Dragonfly limited edition, the one with B6 capsule, and I must admit I have been really really impressed by the sound of this mic...

Well for this kind of sound the best thing would be Tim's CT12. However it might be overkill to upgrade Røde NT1 with that capsule.

You might ask these guys to send you one of these.

https://app.alibaba.com/dynamiclink?touchId=60603281713&type=product&schema=enalibaba%3A%2F%2Fdetail%3Fid%3D60603281713%26ck%3Dshare_detail&ck=share_detail&shareScene=buyer

kingkorg said:
Well for this kind of sound the best thing would be Tim's CT12. However it might be overkill to upgrade Røde NT1 with that capsule.

You might ask these guys to send you one of these.

https://app.alibaba.com/dynamiclink?touchId=60603281713&type=product&schema=enalibaba%3A%2F%2Fdetail%3Fid%3D60603281713%26ck%3Dshare_detail&ck=share_detail&shareScene=buyer

Thanks for the feedback
I'm already in touch with tim for one of his capsule for a c12 build..

I don't want any chinese stuff.. I bought the NT1 cause I like the body, I really think it's a cool looking mic :)

But if I have to change everything in it, I'll do it. My goal is not to build any recreation, I already have build a 87 with Poctop pCBS long time ago.

My plan was really to get benefit of the quality build, change the 2 condo Jim Willams told about, and upgrade the capsule..
So C12 style cap it might be..

I don't want to use Tim's one in it, not sure it deserve a so much good cap, but which one would you advise beetwin a Maiku one, or a Peluso (I know heiserman is in the game as well, but a bit expensive too.. at this price, lets just order 2 capsule from Tim !)

IMHO Maiku and Peluso are no different than the capsule i linked to. Peluso might actually be worse and it is made in China.

Another option is to contact Guosheng from 3u Audio in Australia and explain what you want. His capsules are about 100$. He is the creator of Warbler mics.

He is chinese originally, but that should really not be an issue for you, HE IS THE GUY TO ASK ABOUT CAPSULES!

He also has an unique "super smooth k67" as he calls it. It gives you u87 response in flat circuit. And it sounds awesome.

What don't you like about the microphone?

What Jfet does it have?

Before you remove and replace parts try the microphone first and make a list of what you like and don't like, just changing parts might not be what you want to do.

I am not a fan of removing grill layers.

Khron said:

... Unless you like the stock brightness, that is.

Gus said:

What Jfet does it have?

Before you remove and replace parts try the microphone first and make a list of what you like and don't like, just changing parts might not be what you want to do.

kingkorg said:
IMHO Maiku and Peluso are no different than the capsule i linked to. Peluso might actually be worse and it is made in China.

Another option is to contact Guosheng from 3u Audio in Australia and explain what you want. His capsules are about 100$. He is the creator of Warbler mics.

He is chinese originally, but that should really not be an issue for you, HE IS THE GUY TO ASK ABOUT CAPSULES!

He also has an unique "super smooth k67" as he calls it. It gives you u87 response in flat circuit. And it sounds awesome.

Awesome !
Many thanks for the link ! I'll contact him see if we can workout something !!

Gus said:

What Jfet does it have?

I guess it's a J305 FET !

Gus said:

I don't have buy the mic for what it is now, but for what it can be ! I've read a lot about, do some research, and came to the conclusion that it's a great base to improve it 

Gus said:
I am not a fan of removing grill layers.

Neither do I. It was mentioned somewhere and I wanted to have your input on it :)

A grille mod is a bad idea IMO, especially with the spacing in the outer layer. Removing the inner mesh will leave the capsule pretty exposed and probably not yield as much of a change as you'd want.

You can get a CK12 capsule for $50 here http://m.wgtcenter.com/microphone-34mm-large-capsule-diaphragm-dual-condenser-project-myla-ck12-pro-diy-element-replacement.html which might be a bit more convenient than ordering a sample from China.

I think it's made by iSK. I'll agree that Peluso's capsule from what I've seen of it isn't much different, and I've actually heard it be brighter than these capsules. I can't comment on Maiku because I haven't heard any samples in a C12 style mic and I still haven't put mine in a mic yet, but it's supposed to be voiced like an ELAM 251 (so a bit smoother I guess?)

I'd buy a used sE Electronics T2 or 4400a and put one of those in before even considering the Peluso 414. Better yet, Tim's CT12 in there, it'll fall at around the same price (with the Peluso P414 being something like $1,000 USD).

Sinkia said:
I don't have buy the mic for what it is now, but for what it can be ! I've read a lot about, do some research, and came to the conclusion that it's a great base to improve it 

Are you sure in the end it could not be rephrased to "a great body to improve"?

It seems in the end you might just have an original Roder NT1 body.

You can do whatever you want and I will help out with the knowledge I have, but sometimes you will spend more money or the same as building a completely great mic from scratch

There's no many great microphones projects in this forum, even in Kit format nowadays that it's hard to be cost eficient to mod a Rode NT1 to have the same performance as building a great mic from the ground up

Please some measurements allready!

They have exactly the same construction, and have no relation to true ck12. It would be great if you stop pretending Maiku does. The construction of Maiku is 100% the same as chinese capsule.

It would be great if we could see some pics of Maiku facilities where these are produced, or anu aditional info on the company.

Back