Replacement meters for TAC scorpion

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Potato Cakes

I've seen this topic hashed out a number of times over the past couple of years with people starting to work on a new meter circuit for the TAC Scorpion as the chips they used for this haven't been made in over 20 years. I'm wondering if anyone has attempted this and if they have had any success? There are three meters on mine that are lit with no channels installed, so I has to be something with the chip which are near impossible to find. But I've got to thinking about it and it doesn't seem like it would be insanely difficult to do. There are 19 lines of analog signal that split off all of the busses, left, right, and PFL, plus a line for power and 0VDC. The master channel has a switch for VU/Peak metering, but one could do away with that if necessary and just do one or the other. I haven't opened the meter bridge up yet as I'm focused on finishing the rebuild and putting it to work, so the metering is quite low on the list. If there have been any attempts with success I would be curious to know what was involved. If this is actually a nightmare that should just be avoided I would like to know that as well.

Thanks!

Paul

I have some, used, working. If you are interested, please send me a PM. IIRC, Colin at www.audiomaintenance.com  had replacement meters for sale few years ago.

What about replacing the bar meters with regular analog VU meters, you would have to replace the metal strip that holds the bar meters, and replace it with a new strip with cut-outs for the VU meters.

AW said:
What about replacing the bar meters with regular analog VU meters, you would have to replace the metal strip that holds the bar meters, and replace it with a new strip with cut-outs for the VU meters.

I kinda gave up on doing anything with the meters. After all of the other mods I've done to mine it sounds amazing and my mixes are better than they've every been and clients are happy with the results beginning with the first mix version. I just use the meters to new to see that it's powered on and than audio is working. Outside of that, I don't see the value in doing anything with the meters on my desk to make then functional.

Thanks!

Paul

Hi Paul, just in case you change your mind, I have gone through a meter bridge revival as well as a complete rebuilt of VUs and expansion to a "per channel" set up. It keeps the original look and feel, response and scaling of the meters.
Over at Gearslutz forum I posted some pictures of my refurb work :
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/diy-electronic-build-refurbishment-photo-diaries/957341-tac-scorpion-refurb-mod-journal-2.html

ulisch

ulisch said:
Hi Paul, just in case you change your mind, I have gone through a meter bridge revival as well as a complete rebuilt of VUs and expansion to a "per channel" set up. It keeps the original look and feel, response and scaling of the meters.
Over at Gearslutz forum I posted some pictures of my refurb work :
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/diy-electronic-build-refurbishment-photo-diaries/957341-tac-scorpion-refurb-mod-journal-2.html

ulisch

Hi, Ulisch,

I do think about it from time to time, but at this point the meters for me would just be cosmetic. I have been putting it to work fairly regularly and I don't wish take it out of service to work on just the meters. Here's a thread of what I've done on this console:

https://groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=68714.0

Thanks!

Paul

Back