Leslie/Hammond octal connectors

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scott2000

How are these types of octal connections terminated???? Is it just solder down in the pins....just heat pins to remove old wires???

Attachments

• leslie octal connector1.jpg
    leslie octal connector1.jpg
    192.3 KB · Views: 14
Yes.  it's a  PIA but unless they are doing something unusual, high heat and solder to remove old wires, install new wires or do repairs.  I have yet to ever see a crimp version.

scott2000 said:
Thanks! Yeah I just tried a couple......Guess I need a vice.......  been wanting one for a while anyhow.......helping hands aren't cutting it....

Seems easiest to heat just the very tip of the pin.....

that depends how deep the solder and wires go

I have fixed enough hammonds over the years,  I can tell you, usual wear and tear and the cables hold up. but once in a while you can have a problem with the connector wiring,

The tip of the pin is usually open, the whole thing kinda like a drinking straw. 

When soldering in new leads I have found it helpful to have the end of the wire stick out of the pin.  This ensures that you are heating the wire as well as the pin and the solder then flows between them.  Snip off the extra wire and any excess solder when done.

scott2000 said:
Makes sense.... The 2 I tested/removed so far are 3/4" tinned lead...pretty deep.....

Definitely going to get a vice or rig up something....I picked up several, not the pic, and the listing showed at least a foot of nice cloth covered leads.... The ones I got were a mish mash of 5" and 1" and one had  super thin leads....

But in all fairness, the auction was for the connectors..... should've asked......  But the auction said study the pictures....lol

I did.....

It'll be nice to have new wires anyhow....
You may already have vices, perhaps look for a vise.

JR

Latest posts

Back