Graphic Eq (Stereo) For Fun

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
JohnRoberts said:
One of my more successful patents while working at Peavey [US05737428  Roberts] (and subsequently copied by Behringer with their own patent), was FLS "feedback locating system" the illuminated LEDs above one GEQ slider with the loudest bandpass.

This was a quick and easy aid for reducing feedback, or finding proper frequency band to EQ.

JR

I didn't know it was your invention John, congratulations, that was a great idea and it was really helpfull in live setups.
Congrats and thanks for that
I remember using that back in the day and loved it, it gave a quick indication of the monitor were the feedback was occurring (by the graph inserted in that mix) and a quick indication of the problematic frequency. A great tool to have when running a lot of different monitor mixes, helped in the soundcheck and during the show.

Bulsh*t the "real men dont need that" I never found any sound engineer that has absolute pitch.

That was a quick way of reaching to the feedback frequency and solve the problem.

Nowadays Behringer X32/Midas M32 and Yamaha CL series consoles have an RTA in every EQ, it's a great thing

R2D2 if you want to build a graphic EQ for the fun, go for it, but really think that John is right, it's an obsolete unit.

I'm a professional Mixing Engineer, both Live and Studio.

In Live contexts I don't use a Graphic EQ for more than 10 years, analog consoles are no longer used in live sound and Digital consoles have 4 or more bands parametrics in every channel, and sometimes 6 bands parametrics in the outputs. You have also Graphic EQ inside the console if you want to use them.

So basically theres a lot of options for Graphic EQ's in the used market nowadays and you can have them for really cheap.
Sometimes even for free from a local Church, Bar, or PA company

I also agree with PRR that having separate faders from L and R is better

just my 2 cents

Whoops said:
R2D2 if you want to build a graphic EQ for the fun, go for it, but really think that John is right, it's an obsolete unit.

I'm a professional Mixing Engineer, both Live and Studio.

In Live contexts I don't use a Graphic EQ for more than 10 years, analog consoles are no longer used in live sound and Digital consoles have 4 or more bands parametrics in every channel, and sometimes 6 bands parametrics in the outputs. You have also Graphic EQ inside the console if you want to use them.

So basically theres a lot of options for Graphic EQ's in the used market nowadays and you can have them for really cheap.
Sometimes even for free from a local Church, Bar, or PA company

I also agree with PRR that having separate faders from L and R is better

just my 2 cents

much thanks for post ,

checked lot of used on web but all are double faders (L-R)

i do not have to do precision equalizations for separate L and R
but it have to be for "fun"...

probably the fastest way could be modify an used one
replacing the faders with stereo type

anybody have some help about where buy the stereo faders ?

thanks in advance
cheers

Whoops said:
In Live contexts I don't use a Graphic EQ for more than 10 years, analog consoles are no longer used in live sound and Digital consoles have 4 or more bands parametrics in every channel, and sometimes 6 bands parametrics in the outputs.
This is a comment I often hear; however, as much as the use of a GEQ did not necessarily imply complementing it with an RTA, it seems to me a parametric as system EQ should be used only in conjunction with a high-rez analyser.
The beauty of the GEQ is that it matches the audition process; I found using a parametric with ears only is extremely uncertain.
Indeed, today any smartphone offers measurement facilities that were a lab curio just a few decades ago.

abbey road d enfer said:
Today any smartphone offers measurement facilities that were a lab curio just a few decades ago.

Yes, there's a lot of options for a cheap RTA nowadays, being the limited but usefull phone or tablet apps.

Or using a measurment mic/soundcard with Smaart on the laptop.

Mixers like the Behringer X32 and Yamaha CL consoles have an RTA in every EQ, it's great.
Midas Pro series consoles also allow th insert and RTA on the fx rack

Rob Flinn said:
Some of the DN27's I've had are transformer coupled.  All of them have holes on the back panel to mount Sowter transformers.  Although I think this was an optional extra.      Some also have a relay circuit so that if the power supply blows they revrt to bypass to keep the show going.  Not quite sure how pleasant this would be if the GEQ was set to notch out some serious feedback.....

The DN27 did have a Sowter option.  Transformers were mounted on the back panel and hard wired to the connectors and pcb.
The DN27A  had a plug in daughter card with transformers on it.  I have owned both and still have a pair of 27As on my studio
monitors.  I think these are probably the best sounding graphs ever made.  All of them had 27 individual inductors and only 3 op-amps. :)

GARY

Back