C 12 point to point home made body. Very DIY

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

creation

I have been busy. I thought this was worth sharing with the group that inspired me to do it. The three images on the left are what I have made, the three on the right are of an original AKG C12 I was trying copy. The AKG goes for around $15K and up. The copy I made from a piece of exhaust pipe, a left over drawer track, a brass plumbing plug, and about $150 worth of components including the capsule, grill, and the transformer. I am pretty chuffed with the result.

Attachments

• Micc.jpg
    Micc.jpg
    179 KB · Views: 424
Exactly! I was hoping there is some other source besides dismembered Apexes, therefore i asked :)

It is a an Apex 460 trans, I am waiting on a  shipment for a 13114.  I plan to put this one back into a modified 460 that I am using as a U47 clone.  The capsule is from WGTCenter, and it sure looks and acts like an RK-12 but costs $50. I also plan on getting a brass tube for about $25. This was a prototype first attempt built on the cheap. I just got into this DIY thing a couple months ago. I knew very little about the insides of microphones. I taught myself to read a schematic, modified a couple 460s, built a Matador C12 and 251, and then decided I would go from scratch on a point to point full size C12.  Next up, I am working on a copy of a 251 in a plexiglass tube and all that. The polar switch might be a little too much, and I like the switching from the PSU anyway, but I want to build  it modular like the original.

Nice work!

I'm likewise in the middle of some builds using different bodies. I have a 460 clone as yet unmodified and also a Behringer T47 which is generally considered too irksome to mod though I can see a way of doing it. I've fitted a LDC capsule and I just have to stuff the new parts on some perfboard.

I also have some aluminium exhaust pipe - available in the UK in 50mm and 63mm diameter. I'm also looking at square 50mm tube with radiuses corners. Using simple circuits with EF86, 5670 and 6J1P-EV. OPTs either Lundahl LL1530 in 7:1 or Neutrik NTE 10/3. I'll post some pics when I have one working.

You nailed the body. Looks like it's a pretty similar size.

I think an RK-12 works better in a 251 clone anyway. The frequency response in the 251 seems to change depending on pattern somewhat similarly to what the K67 capsules do. At least according  the specs published. I don't have a 251 to measure to confirm that.

Back