Singing Sowter Transformers?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zmix

I've built a pair of line amps using a single ended 2N3055 etc etc, and the Sowter 9160 transformers. I was performing some tests yesterday and I noticed that when I had a lot of signal level, and turned off the studio monitors, I could hear SOUND eminating from the transformers themselves!

I've never noticed this before on any 'real' neves, perhaps due to the red goo on the output transformers?

Anyone heard this? Worried about it?

That's normal. I heard the same thing when I was doing the Neve output shootout. It's the windings. Marinair wound there Neve output XFMR' very tight. This cuts down on squealing, but if the core expands, the inner winding can break.

Also, moving windings can actually affect the sound. Some type of feedback voodoo. But hey, this isn't rocket science. It's a lot more like black magic. Rockets are predictable. Laws of momentum. F=ma.

X-formers are at best, slightly predictable.

We got an engineer here at work that still uses "basically".

Big Kahuna:"Why did the product fail?"

Engineer:"Well, basically, it's becuase I cheated my way thru college and I don't know my ass from a hole in the ground."

What does "basically" mean anyway? How does it apply to a specific conversation? I thought it went out in the seventies. :twisted:

HAHA basically.

Actually (oops that's a loaded one too) a dear friend with a Phuddy in mathematical physics from Cambridge uses basically incessantly, especially when talking to "laypersons." When he gave a report on his group's activities at a big company offsite people started counting the occurences. I believe the total was in excess of a hundred.

Hah! One hundread! That's funny. There use to be this dancer at the local "lose your paycheck and walk out with blue balls"' joint who use to lift here right hand and brush back her hair all the time. I think we counted this one hundread times durring her 3 song set. Didn't do much else.
Beautiful Mary I think was her name.

Latest posts

Back