Storing mics

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Delta Sigma

GDIY Supporter
Anyone have a source for something to protect a LDC in while in a foam lined case?

I store my mics in Pelican style cases (a few of them cheap) with rechargable desiccants. My U67 is protected within its case by a zip bag (a la Shure) that came with the donor body (thanks Chunger!). My M49 and current build U47 (thanks Dany!) are protected in velvet-like lined box.

My Elam 251 currently has no protection inside the cheap pelican style case. I worry about damage from the cheap foam inside the case. I've seen photos from Shannon @ Mic Rehab showing capsule damage due to improper storage. I definitely want to avoid that.

I'd like anything classier than a zip-loc bag so store the mic in.

Look for a cloth pouch that's big enough to keep the mic in. If you can sew make a pouch just slightly bigger than the mic so you don't have a bunch of extra room.

I once bought a number of pencil cases for very little money and use those. These are plastic fabric. Since there is some publicity printed on them, they evade the attention of potential thieves...

cyrano said:
I once bought a number of pencil cases for very little money and use those. These are plastic fabric. Since there is some publicity printed on them, they evade the attention of potential thieves...
I've actually thought about that. At the very least to hold instrument mics.

I made my own bags using bubble wrap and cut to size with a hot soldering iron. Then I put the mic in it and also put it in  an extra new flight sock collected in my travels - no lint. That works really well for me. I also have a hard case that the mics are stored in, so that they do not get knocked around in storage.
Hope that helps
Kindest regards,
zephyrmic

I am a big fan of the Zip Lock food storage bag and  Silica-Gel Desiccant dehumidifying packs. Cloth bags while good dust covers hold moisture and attract moisture when it is humid. Plastic is impervious to moisture and with the packs the mic can dry out fine in the bag.

I take my dehumidifying packs and put them in the microwave for a few seconds or in the oven for a couple of minutes to get the moisture out and then into the bag they go.

The foam used in Pelican like cases will degrade over time and get gummy, as does the foam in pop filters sadly. I have two AKG c414 shock mount pop-filters that I had to clean all the decayed foam out of, so I guess they are now just shock mounts. IMO another reason for plastic.

Where I live, we don't have to worry about humidity, fortunately. In winter it is important to bring the mics in and let them warm up in the comfortable atmosphere of home or studio before using them. Otherwise, condensation may be a problem - cold to warm atmosphere. I had someone who lives in the hills bring in a mic he couldn't get to work - colder than my place in winter - and all that was wrong was precisely the situation I mentioned. Left it inside for a day or so and it was as good as gold!
My rule of thumb is that if you feel comfortable inside, then the mics will feel comfortable also.

zephyrmic

Icantthinkofaname said:
...If you can sew...

This is my problem... I can't sew!

Thanks for the suggestions guys, I actually received a very nice offer via PM for a solution.

Pip, I use Silica gel desiccants that have a little window. When the little pellets change colour, it's time to thrown them in the oven.

https://www.amazon.ca/Indicating-Desiccant-Silica-Canister-Pelican/dp/B0018O035O/

Latest posts

Back