Black Hole

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zamproject

Hey all

For sure some of you already follow this, but because I'm more a "thinker" than a "believer",
because interferometry, waves (sound included), and gravity are part of my past and present activities,
because I think this is the most important human direct observation we never had
I have to share

https://www.eso.org/public/unitedkingdom/news/eso1907/?lang

Einstein was right  8)
Happy future astrophysics to all  :)

Best
Zam

One of the amazing things I read about this today:

It took 5 PENTAbytes of data to produce that little image of the event horizon. That's completely insane to me.

zamproject said:
Einstein was right  8)
Happy future astrophysics to all  :)

Best
Zam
Yup, Einstein keeps getting smarter as time passes and his theories get proved.

JR

PS: Trying to grasp space and infinity causes the equivalent of a 'div by zero' error inside my meat computer.  :eek:

I have not read the article. It is a bit weird that nothing goes out of a black hole. That make imposible to take an image of it??? The light would never reach the lens of a camera, same with radio waves.

I can imagine they get the image of the boundaries.

I found interesting the hairy black holes. ;D

12afael said:
It is a bit weird that nothing goes out of a black hole. That make imposible to take an image of it??? The light would never reach the lens of a camera, same with radio waves.

I can imagine they get the image of the boundaries.

yes, we see the boundary (or just before it), and IIRC it's not the usual gravitational lens effect (of what is behind a massive object) but the material and light falling in and heating.
Yesterday at the press conference I see 4 images from 4 different day and the distorted space and material turn around the black hole...fast...

I wish I wake up later...to see what's in the next centuries... with this capture system we should be able to see continent in exoplanet soon  ::)

Best
Zam

Picture is of the photons outside the black hole. Obviously they cannot take a picture of it literally since light cannot escape.
Also interesting, picture is of what it looked like 50 million years ago. (i.e. it is 50 million light years away)

Was cool to be part of the generation that has been able to prove some of special relativity's theories.  Gravitational lensing comes to mind too.  But I have to argue the most important picture so far has been the Hubble deep field shots. The ones with the countless galaxies spread as wide and as deep as the sensitivity of the camera could pick up.  Mind boggling to be in a cosmic web of carousels of stars so plentiful it can not be contemplated without abstracting it into powers of ten.

Its nice to have time to contemplate the universe ,
but it does nothing much  to get us out of the sh!te state weve gotten ourselves into as a species ,
Theres Musk , put the US back in the space race with his jaw dropping 'thunderbirds' style lander , but if it only precipitates a new cold war in space what good is it to  you or me .

By the time we could ever reach a blackhole we'd be seventh son of a seventh son of testube babies ,the rest of us on earth would probably be long gone at that stage, could we save the species by shooting off as much frozen sperm and eggs as possible onto large icicles that do the rounds of the galaxy ,maybe

Wouldnt it be a good investment in human resources to turn the brightest minds to saving us from ourselves , or do the powers that be already know were doomed and need a way off Terra Firma at some point. 

boji said:
Was cool to be part of the generation that has been able to prove some of special relativity's theories.  Gravitational lensing comes to mind too.  But I have to argue the most important picture so far has been the Hubble deep field shots. The ones with the countless galaxies spread as wide and as deep as the sensitivity of the camera could pick up.  Mind boggling to be in a cosmic web of carousels of stars so plentiful it can not be contemplated without abstracting it into powers of ten.

Yes Hubble deep field is a fantastic and amazing shot (composite), in visible ray.
You can find a 100mo+ picture here https://www.spacetelescope.org/images/heic0611b/
for those who  like to travel a little  :)

The black hole picture is somehow less impressive (visual), I agree with you. But consequences of visual confirmation of all predictions and modelling is a way more important step in cosmology I guess.
What we see is something that feet between the sun and us at 50 million light year distance, Hubble space telescope is just blind in comparison.

Best
Zam

Attachments

• heic0611b.jpg
    heic0611b.jpg
    296.3 KB · Views: 10
Its like the most spectacular lava lamp Ive ever seen , how can we get the live feed ?

Tubetec said:
Its nice to have time to contemplate the universe ,
but it does nothing much  to get us out of the sh!te state weve gotten ourselves into as a species ,
Theres Musk , put the US back in the space race with his jaw dropping 'thunderbirds' style lander , but if it only precipitates a new cold war in space what good is it to  you or me .

By the time we could ever reach a blackhole we'd be seventh son of a seventh son of testube babies ,the rest of us on earth would probably be long gone at that stage, could we save the species by shooting off as much frozen sperm and eggs as possible onto large icicles that do the rounds of the galaxy ,maybe

Wouldnt it be a good investment in human resources to turn the brightest minds to saving us from ourselves , or do the powers that be already know were doomed and need a way off Terra Firma at some point.

If only more people take the time to contemplate universe...maybe our earth get better  ::)

Musk do "nothing" except advanced rocket science and computer controlled ballistic  ;D

Best
Zam

I think rocket science and astronomy has brought us some good , we can for the first time see ,without religious blinkers were pretty inconsequential in universal terms ,everything doesnt revolve around us ,if the solar system farted and we were destroyed , the universe wouldnt  even blink ,
The more I look at deep space telescopic images  the more Im convinced we created god ,not the other way round.

Trying to grasp space and infinity causes the equivalent of a 'div by zero' error inside my meat computer.

Yes that's a good way to describe it. I've been looking for a word for that rare feeling.  Like with the moon:  'Look at that giant grey-blue chunk of rock up there, tidally locked,  with the same diameter as the sun by perspective, and occasionally, perfectly overlays it.  How impossible and yet persistently material.  And so with everything, everywhere, at all times. Approximates ecstasy, but words cheapen it.

boji said:
Yes that's a good way to describe it. I've been looking for a word for that rare feeling.  Like with the moon:  'Look at that giant grey-blue chunk of rock up there, tidally locked,  with the same diameter as the sun by perspective, and occasionally, perfectly overlays it.  How impossible and yet persistently material.  And so with everything, everywhere, at all times. Approximates ecstasy, but words cheapen it.
Hmmmm....

You’re bordering on poetic there boji! Nice!

'meat computer' I got a giggle off that .
Its still very difficult to get a true picture of size and mass of these deep space objects from the photographs . They seem to be saying stuff does exit blackholes now too ,but its reconfigured on a subatomic level ,smashed beyond all recognition . Maybe they act like a giant recycling plant, sucking in garbage, compacting it , and spiting out the left overs .

Latest posts

Back