parts pricing mouser vs digikey

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pucho812

:eek:

I need 1 X edge connector made by edac.

mouser has it @ 20 dollars and digikey has it at 8.38 dollars... such a difference in price... both needing me to pay for shipping.  WTH?

In the UK one of the main suppliers is a company called RS.  In recent years I have found that they have resistors of different value, but in the same range from the same manufacturer that can have a 10-20 fold price difference.  I'm talking about small signal resistors in the 0.4w size.  I mentioned this to their customer service department & they felt it was fully justified ..

I've seen some huge price variants for components is small supply... perhaps some smart pricing algorithms...

I also see this elsewhere across the web as web merchants try to increase profits. If the price seems high it probably is, keep looking.

JR

pucho812 said:
:eek:

I need 1 X edge connector made by edac.

mouser has it @ 20 dollars and digikey has it at 8.38 dollars... such a difference in price... both needing me to pay for shipping.  WTH?

Is this for your Trident project?  Tell me the part number or specs and I'll see if I have one.

mjrippe said:
Is this for your Trident project?  Tell me the part number or specs and I'll see if I have one.

no this is not for the trident tsm eq. This is for a repair.  But yeah same  manufactures part number at both spots gave me  that pricing.  :eek:.  Thanks for the offer  on an edge connector,  I will politely decline this time. But, next time I am out east I will return the favor with coffee and  or beer or whatever your choice is.  ;)

Brian Roth said:
What is the Edac part number?  You might find a Sullins or other compatible connector for less $$$.

Bri

true. I didn't do much searching, I already got the part at digikey. I was just shocked at the massive difference in price of same part from 2 different stores.  Now here is the rub, if I would have ordered from mouser which would have been more money, ground would have been here faster as it is closer. with digikey it will be almost a week to get the same part.  with same shipping, ground.

I always price shop...I grew up (1950/1960's) with parents who lived during "The Great Depression" (1930's) , so I always look for good pricing.  It's complicated when you have to juggle shipping fees and delivery times!

I just came back from OKC to see my Mom (age 90) and she still clips coupons while she does her own grocery shopping!!

Bri

It gets even more complex when you look at price breaks. With Farnell, some "expensive" electrolytics become cheaper than "cheap" ones when you move above the 10+ price break

Farnell also sells as CPC and sometimes prices for the same item are four times more expensive at Farnell

Nick Froome

Back