Knocking tobacco on the head after 30 years

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
rackmonkey said:
It doesn’t rank up there with my best decisions. Sorry bout your dad. You had to be pretty young then.
Yes I regret I wasn't old enough to ask him any good questions....  I do recall going into work with him one saturday morning... He was a recording engineer for RCA records in NYC...

Life happens, appreciate your parents while you can...

JR

Tubetec said:
I stopped counting how long Im off it,
I have tried a few  other peoples cigs ,mainly after a few pints in the pub , tasted like crap ,
I havent found any weight gain , but I have upped my physical work output to keep things in balance .
On the few ocassions I have tried a cig , I get a slightly dizzy ,listless feeling for a little while after ,its not a nice feeling at all .

You should be over the hump at this point with those thoughts. When you have a weak moment,  break it up in to small blocks. Just make it through the next 10 minutes, then the next 10, etc etc, using distractions and change-of-pace. Pause the movie and make popcorn, go to a different restaurant/bar, look up an old forgotten song on youtube, grab your girl and take a midnight walk. I quit cigs cold turkey in 2002 doing exactly this.

Congrats to all who have quit smoking.... If you haven't quit yet,,, just do it.... sooner rather than later. 
---
I enjoyed cigars but quit them when I didn't like how they made my throat feel the next day... (perhaps paranoid about my father who died from throat cancer).

When I was a young puke I was a typical dumbass. I had one mean uncle teach me a lesson. I was visiting his farm in NC for a couple weeks one summer, and bought a cheap toy corn cob pipe in the greyhound bus terminal (after riding the bus down from NJ). I filled up the pipe with tobacco from used cigarette butts sitting in the ashtrays around the house. I asked my uncle if I could smoke it, and he even lit it for me...  :eek:

After a few minutes happily puffing away I barely made it to the bathroom for a projectile vomiting session and never touched another cigarette in the 60 years since. I should thank him (RIP), but he was only amusing himself by messing with the dumb yankee.

JR

I think most smokers probably got 'nicotine shock' at some point ,I know I did , generally people turn green ,get the head spins ,then the gawks(vomit) . Its probably not very much different to the reaction of the body to various poisons, including drink and drugs of one kind or another . The last few cigs I smoked , I have to admit made me feel nauseated but no puking luckily.

okgb said:
I've never smoked but I think exercise in general is a great  " cure all  "  with the same mood leveling properties
ding, ding, ding, we have a winner...  Yes exercise can help dissipate (consume) the "fight or flight" hormones released from stressful events. In today's modern life we rarely encounter true fight or flight situations, but high pressure office jobs can trigger the same old autonomic responses from an angry phone call or exchange with a boss...  If we let the f-o-f hormones (cortisol level) build up inside our blood stream it is not healthy.

We can't always manage our sources of stress (like I did when I quit my last stressful day job almost 20 years ago), but we can mitigate the effects of stress on our body with exercise. I used to joke that going to the gym probably saved my life, or somebody else's when I didn't have to choke the a_hole. :eek:  (joke). 

JR

Latest posts

Back