Potato Cakes

Recommendations for USA PCB manufacturer
« on: April 19, 2019, 03:14:18 PM »
Hello,

As I'm nearing closer to commercially releasing my first product, I am in looking to find a PCB house that does USA manufacturing. I'd like some recommendations for those who are actively involved with having their boards made stateside.

Thanks!

Paul
« Last Edit: April 22, 2019, 08:23:07 AM by Potato Cakes »

BluegrassDan

Re: Recommendations for USA PCB manufacturer
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2019, 07:48:23 AM »
My friends Larry and Kathy Mullins own IES in Gray, Tennessee. I’ve toured their place and they build everything from short runs to military and NASA.

http://www.iesgray.com

Potato Cakes

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2019, 08:22:19 AM »
Thanks for the recommendation. I'll reach out to them when I get ready to do a run of boards.

Thanks!

Paul

JMFahey

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2019, 07:45:15 AM »
You might find this interesting; if anything to watch the full process, US style.

And you might contact those guys.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBtK-PesGsU
Design - Make - Service Audio Equipment since 1969.

ruffrecords

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2019, 11:48:54 AM »
Fran is a girl after my own heart. She still uses a familiar stand alone PCB layout program, makes her own footprints, routes by hand and checks her design by hand. The only surprise is she does not use a Gerber viewer to check the Gerbers themselves because very rarely do your EDA give an accurate representation of the real rendering.

I would love to be able to have my PCBs made here in the UK but there is just no way they can compete with the Chinese.

Cheers

Ian
www.customtubeconsoles.com
https://mark3vtm.blogspot.co.uk/
www.eztubemixer.blogspot.co.uk

'The only people not making mistakes are the people doing nothing'

JohnRoberts

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2019, 01:03:18 PM »
I used a contract manufacturer in NJ to populate my last production run of (SMD) PCBs. He ordered bare PCBs from a (Chinese) vendor he had good experience with.

I actually ordered one run of relatively simple PCBs from a Canadian PCB house, and the boards arrived from China.  ::)

I use Chinese vendors for prototype PCB with almost zero problems and very good pricing.

JR   

PS: I have seen more US PCB houses go out of business than I can remember to count...
Don't only half-ass tune your drums. Visit https://circularscience.com to hear what properly "cleared" drums sound like.

Potato Cakes

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2019, 01:15:44 PM »
Without turning this into a Brewery topic, it is not good for a business to rely on a supply chain based in a communist country that is not friendly with the rest of the world and views stealing other people's work and selling it as their own as a good business practice. Yes, there is the attractiveness of the extreme low cost of goods which again I don't want to go into the reasons how they are able to do so as this is not meant to be a Brewery topic. For my purposes, finding a board manufacturer in the US would be the most ideal route.

Thanks!

Paul

madswitcher

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2019, 02:11:45 PM »
Without turning this into a Brewery topic, it is not good for a business to rely on a supply chain based in a communist country that is not friendly with the rest of the world and views stealing other people's work and selling it as their own as a good business practice. Yes, there is the attractiveness of the extreme low cost of goods which again I don't want to go into the reasons how they are able to do so as this is not meant to be a Brewery topic. For my purposes, finding a board manufacturer in the US would be the most ideal route.

Thanks!

Paul

My thoughts are likewise in that folks using Chinese PC fab houses are making it easier to leak intellectual property.  The Chinese culture is such that they take cloning as a natural thing to do with no consequencies.   Glad you found a state-side house to do your boards.

I don't have a need to do production runs and (like Fran) I still use stand-alone PCB layout programme to design my PCBs and enjoy do that as much as using the finished project so I have a sense of completeness from design all the way through to use.

Best regards

Mike
p.s.  Fran is the greatest   :)

scott2000

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2019, 10:59:57 PM »
My thoughts are likewise in that folks using Chinese PC fab houses are making it easier to leak intellectual property. 

5G will be interesting.....

Sorry.....Back on topic....

Fran IS awesome!!

iampoor1

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2019, 01:41:22 AM »
Bay Area circuits has been good in my expierence.

Potato Cakes

« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2019, 02:03:41 AM »
Bay Area circuits has been good in my expierence.

I may try them. IES got back to me and its seem that won't be able to accommodate my order of bare boards.

Thanks!

Paul

john12ax7

« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2019, 06:22:04 PM »
pcbshopper.com is good for comparison shopping.  Some US shops are on there.

Edit : you might need to verify where the pcbs are actually made. US store front with overseas production is rather common.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2019, 06:36:45 PM by john12ax7 »

rackmonkey

« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2019, 11:34:00 AM »
Have you looked at OSHPark? They have an unusual batch process that may not be optimal for your purposes, but it’s a good model from small run/prototyping.

https://oshpark.com
Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're probably right.

iampoor1

« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2019, 02:53:09 PM »
pcbshopper.com is good for comparison shopping.  Some US shops are on there.

Edit : you might need to verify where the pcbs are actually made. US store front with overseas production is rather common.

My rule of thumb....if it's cheaper by a ballpark than bay area circuits...its probably made overseas. It's 125$ for a single 8x11 panel....

https://store.bayareacircuits.com/weekend-warrior/

rackmonkey

« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2019, 02:54:44 PM »
FWIW OSHPark makes their boards in the US.
Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're probably right.

iampoor1

« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2019, 02:58:27 PM »
FWIW OSHPark makes their boards in the US.

Once you get to the medium run pricing I think oshpark makes sense...but ordering prototypes boards through them gets very pricey...

Pip

« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2019, 03:03:56 PM »
Pip
New York City
http://geosonixlab.com