Telephone AGC??

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scott2000

Picked this thing up  cheap....couple of nice parts and a pretty cool chassis..... says telephone amplifier on it.....

figured I'd try to draw what was in it ..... actually just used a 436 drawing modified.....seemed pretty close......

Anyhow, pretty sure it's close to right......pretty weird.....  guess I can look at voltages.....probably 200 ish b+...transformers tapped for 600ohms...input/output

Attachments

• TELEPHONE AGC October 2019.jpg
    TELEPHONE AGC October 2019.jpg
    117.8 KB · Views: 63
So many moons later, Scott decided to sell me this thing because I wanted to play with it and then harvest the parts.  I had his earlier schematic, not the one above, so I added to it and corrected one connection on the output.  Also I found the builder's name, a date and call letters inside.  Preserved here for anyone who cares  ;)

Attachments

• Telephone AGC.pdf
    562.5 KB · Views: 56
It was a pretty utilitarian implementation which I am sure worked as intended but it did not offer anything special from a recording point of view.  No clever tricks or secret sauce  ;)  I am happy to have the transformers, but now the metal enclosure is haunting me with it's dual cheesy plastic meters for eyes...

Attachments

• Chassis.jpg
    Chassis.jpg
    269.9 KB · Views: 29
the labels are awesome...  nothing like old dymo labels, squeeze the trigger on the machine, turn to dial to the next letter you need, squeeze the trigger again. classic stuff right there.

pucho812 said:
the labels are awesome...  nothing like old dymo labels, squeeze the trigger on the machine, turn to dial to the next letter you need, squeeze the trigger again. classic stuff right there.

Indeed! I have a big, heavy metal industrial one that uses aluminum foil tape. Looks pretty cool  for quick and dirty labels on homemade test gear.

mjrippe said:
...haunting me with it's dual cheesy plastic meters for eyes...

if you look at it just right it looks like it could be talking to you.

thanks, Mike.

Back