GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaveP

From this side of the pond, I am really surprised the Dems are still scraping the bottom of the Mueller barrel, it's starting to look like obsessive vindictive behaviour.

Shouldn't they be concentrating on more important issues at this stage of the game?  If it starts to just look like harrassment of Trump, then that could be counter-productive in terms of votes................. that seems so obvious to me.

I could also mention climate change as an alternative issue, have you noticed what is going on in the UK and around the world?

What is needed is something like the effort that went into WW2 production  (Ford turned out a B29 every hour and a half I think).  Do you really want to take a chance that  your forests will burn, your coastal cities will flood, tornados clear your middle states  and no "Wall" will stop the flood of refugees going north.

I'm sure that businessmen in the USA can figure out ways to make a few bucks out of green energy, Tesla is making the batteries for it already.  They used to say that "Religion was the opiate of the people" .  Now it's big corporations, vested interests and lobbying that are trying to lull the American public into a false state of security, just like they did over smoking in the 50's and 60's.

We Europeans do not have a lobbying industry to keep us in the dark, we are educated and smart enough to see the writing on the wall for ourselves, but we need the US on board too!

Wake Up America!

DaveP

I don't see what you see.  A foreign nation attempts to interfere with the US election to favor a certain candidate.  Said candidate, when he learns of this, does not seek out the FBI to report this election meddling.  No.  In fact, he makes contact with those involved, cheering them on and discussing possible coordination.  If there was not outright coordination, there was a winking collaboration at the very least.  This doesn't even get into the efforts to cover all this up. 

And the American people (even the ones who seem thrilled to have a Russian collaborator in the White House) deserve better than this.  The behavior of Trump and his minions is disgraceful.

Now, if you were in America you might notice that Dems have put forth some pretty substantial (and in some cases quite detailed) proposals for what they'd do in office.  But Trump, if nothing else, is quite brilliant at focusing all the attention on himself, so it's a little hard to get heard over all his nonsense. 

You probably haven't heard about the Green New Deal, or various Dem proposals for universal healthcare?  There's plenty more too, if you do a little digging. 

DaveP said:
From this side of the pond, I am really surprised the Dems are still scraping the bottom of the Mueller barrel, it's starting to look like obsessive vindictive behaviour.
Starting???  It's called TDS or Trump derangement syndrome... and going on the third year...
Shouldn't they be concentrating on more important issues at this stage of the game?  If it starts to just look like harrassment of Trump, then that could be counter-productive in terms of votes................. that seems so obvious to me.
So far they are raising money with it, but the career democrats in charge of the party are telling them to back off the impeachment nonsense, not sure they will. Impeachment made Pres Clinton even more popular and he actually committed crimes, and eww behavior in office. Nice to see the democrats shooting each other for a change...  Nancy Pelosi had some unkind words for AOC, a thorn in her butt... Nancy said a glass of water running as democrat would have been elected in her district.
I could also mention climate change as an alternative issue, have you noticed what is going on in the UK and around the world?
Maybe lighten up on that kool ade... when the planet was actually threatened by the loss of the ozone layer, we did what was needed. Climate change (used to be called global warming, but change is safer rallying point). If/when action is needed I'm sure we can manage, right now its a power grab that will only have negative consequences for the larger world.
What is needed is something like the effort that went into WW2 production  (Ford turned out a B29 every hour and a half I think).  Do you really want to take a chance that  your forests will burn, your coastal cities will flood, tornados clear your middle states  and no "Wall" will stop the flood of refugees going north.
Seriously?  Tornados are because God hates trailer parks (half kidding)..
I'm sure that businessmen in the USA can figure out ways to make a few bucks out of green energy, Tesla is making the batteries for it already.  They used to say that "Religion was the opiate of the people" .  Now it's big corporations, vested interests and lobbying that are trying to lull the American public into a false state of security, just like they did over smoking in the 50's and 60's.
Cheap energy has been dragging people out of poverty around the world... expensive energy will kill them off.
We Europeans do not have a lobbying industry to keep us in the dark, we are educated and smart enough to see the writing on the wall for ourselves, but we need the US on board too!

Wake Up America!

DaveP
Luckily we have friendly europeans to tell us.  ::) ::) 

Do you believe your media is unbiased?  If anything they need to stop winding up the yellow vests for ratings, that could end poorly for many.

JR

You probably haven't heard about the Green New Deal, or various Dem proposals for universal healthcare?  There's plenty more too, if you do a little digging.
  THAT'S THE POINT! The Dems are not making enough noise about these issues that matter, I should not have to be doing any digging, it should be in my face like Mueller, Mueller, Oh and Mueller!

The big issue is Climate Change and the Dems are still back in 2016,  I don't want to particularly see Trump back in 2020, but you are playing into his hands the way you are going....................... time to move on.

DaveP

hodad said:
I don't see what you see.  A foreign nation attempts to interfere with the US election to favor a certain candidate. 
old news but remarkably the special counsel investigation loaded with democrats exonerated President Trump of collusion charges, so now the democrats are fixated on obstruction that did not justify indictment... from an innocent man trying to defend himself.

And what about directing some anger at Putin, and why didn't president Obama stop that, it was on his watch? Hard to pretend he didn't know what was going in inside his administration. It appears the government put its thumb on the political scale to help Hillary, and even that wasn't enough. I was surprised too.
Said candidate, when he learns of this, does not seek out the FBI to report this election meddling.  No.  In fact, he makes contact with those involved, cheering them on and discussing possible coordination.  If there was not outright coordination, there was a winking collaboration at the very least.  This doesn't even get into the efforts to cover all this up. 
He made openly public statements, likely in jest to tweak the democrats.  The real crimes against america were by the foreign governments that nobody seems concerned about now. The losing side is still trying to undo the 2016 vote. 
And the American people (even the ones who seem thrilled to have a Russian collaborator in the White House) deserve better than this.  The behavior of Trump and his minions is disgraceful.
There is a lot of truly disgraceful behavior going around, and the new attorney general is going to investigate, not to mention the inspector general at justice is already running his own investigation. The sitting government is not supposed to meddle in political outcomes. That is actually against the law.
Now, if you were in America you might notice that Dems have put forth some pretty substantial (and in some cases quite detailed) proposals for what they'd do in office.  But Trump, if nothing else, is quite brilliant at focusing all the attention on himself, so it's a little hard to get heard over all his nonsense. 
I guess if you believe what media says.
The green new deal is such a (bad) joke is that the senate democrats wouldn't even vote for it on the record. The cost estimated at $50T+ (probably way low) but it doesn't matter because it is just "aspirational", for low information voters and could never happen.

JR

JohnRoberts said:
old news but remarkably the special counsel investigation loaded with democrats exonerated President Trump of collusion charges, so now the democrats are fixated on obstruction that did not justify indictment... from an innocent man trying to defend himself.
Did you read the report?

JohnRoberts said:
Starting???  It's called TDS or Trump derangement syndrome... and going on the third year...So far they are raising money with it, but the career democrats in charge of the party are telling them to back off the impeachment nonsense, not sure they will. Impeachment made Pres Clinton even more popular and he actually committed crimes, and eww behavior in office. Nice to see the democrats shooting each other for a change...  Nancy Pelosi had some unkind words for AOC, a thorn in her butt... Nancy said a glass of water running as democrat would have been elected in her district. Maybe lighten up on that kool ade... when the planet was actually threatened by the loss of the ozone layer, we did what was needed. Climate change (used to be called global warming, but change is safer rallying point). If/when action is needed I'm sure we can manage, right now its a power grab that will only have negative consequences for the larger world.Seriously?  Tornados are because God hates trailer parks (half kidding).. Cheap energy has been dragging people out of poverty around the world... expensive energy will kill them off. Luckily we have friendly europeans to tell us.  ::) ::) 

Do you believe your media is unbiased?  If anything they need to stop winding up the yellow vests for ratings, that could end poorly for many.

JR

It's weird that you drop the "Trump Derangement Syndrome" canard & then chastise someone ELSE for buying media biases. "Trump Denial Syndrome" is also a widespread thing, and equally tiring. But both forms of TDS are prevalent only among those who can't see a bigger picture - victims of George Saunders' braindead megaphone, so to speak. Facts:

+ The president has some power, but not all of it. We have three branches of government. Congress introduces policy using, yes, politics. This includes the Green New Deal, which is more a conversation starter than an actual piece of legislation. People act like every bill is introduced for literal reasons, and that has - quite literally - never been how politics work. Often, bills are introduced to draw attention to a problem/issue, create a dialogue, or signify something to the base and/or rest of the congregants. When I mourn the death of civics classes, this point is the one I usually bring up: what ARE politics? What does it mean to be political? There is, at root, a bit of sleight of hand involved.

+  Unlike Mitch McConnell, Trump isn't necessarily ignoring norms maliciously - it seems likely, based on every report ever, that he simply doesn't know the norms. What he knows are global real estate norms, and they, unlike political norms, do not present the illusion of order, civility, and wisdom. (See also: that scene in the Rodney Dangerfield movie Back To School where he lists the palm-greasing realities of building construction to an architecture class.) The national conversation has, on some level, been an argument between the visionary philosophy of a representative democracy with checks, balances, and well-maintained international relationships and the bulldog realpolitik of business. Most debates spiral from there: Is that bulldog realpolitik authoritarian? Are a few minor (and arguable) gains worth the loss of our assumed values or our stature on the world stage? Is the playing field fair when one team doesn't seem to care about rules/norms?

(I'm aware that this last question is thrown around by anyone on the "losing team," which brings up a whole other point: why is politics so regularly a team sport? Your climate change comments, for example - they're bizarre to me, as their underlying message seems to be a reactionary "everything's fine the way it is." Sustainable energy would drag people back into poverty because it's too expensive? It feels like you're ignoring the "sustainable" part; those parts of the world would likely save tons of money in the long term. And, beyond that, why wait 'til the patient's in the emergency room? Ever try to treat late stage cancer? I assure you: you always wish that you'd caught it sooner.)

+ The economy's fine, but it's not like the guy made it better - it's been on an upturn since 2010. (And I'm not an Obama apologist. Like every president, he had his good points and bad points.)

+ Dems have been the masters of the circular firing squad for ages. It's nothing new. That said, there are fewer Al Franken casualties than Ilhan Omar wrist slaps nowadays, which speaks well of future solidarity. (Conservatives, as always, are great at closing ranks, even when it seems to go against their professed beliefs - e.g. Susan Collins, Jeff Flake, etc.)

+ AOC is neither as bad nor as good as people seem to think she is. She's just a) young, b) willing to go out on a limb, and c) somewhat representative of the concerns of a younger leftist generation. (I can attest to this... I've taught college for over a decade and, yes, students are far more broadly invested in social democracy, climate change, social justice, prison reform, fair tax laws, etc. today than they were in 2006.) In musical terms, she's a promising debut LP - not perfect, some filler, some groaners, but still winning enough to keep an eye on. Oh, and if you view politics as a conversation instead of a legion of discrete personalities, the conversation between AOC and Pelosi is the Democratic Party at the moment. If AOC exists only to make that convo happen, then she's done something.

+ Most centrist Dems think impeachment isn't crazy - even if Trump hasn't been nailed for crimes, there's plenty of evidence of corruption, and that's all one needs to impeach. However, I'd say that the Must Impeach crowd is not the majority; they just happen to be on TV because they have a point to make and want airtime. Most Dems just want Trump voted out in 2020.

hodad said:
I don't see what you see.  A foreign nation attempts to interfere with the US election to favor a certain candidate.  Said candidate, when he learns of this, does not seek out the FBI to report this election meddling.  No.  In fact, he makes contact with those involved, cheering them on and discussing possible coordination.  If there was not outright coordination, there was a winking collaboration at the very least.  This doesn't even get into the efforts to cover all this up. 

I don't see  what you see.  From the dems, I see a bunch of promises that will just increase how much I pay the gov in taxes.  things like the green new deal were so badly written that the brain child who wrote it put an FAQ on her website to explain it, then remove the FAQ a day later because everyone including her own party mad fun of it.  AOC when sticking to her prepared script, sounds smart, but when she goes off it, it's laughable. obviously someone is pulling her strings and maybe even illegally transferred money from her campaign.
Reparations,  I see a lot of 2020 dems promising  reparations. they want to take hard earned money from people who have no connection to slavery and give to others who have no connection to slavery. why? What about my reparations for having family who were indentured servants? do I get some money for that?
Universal health care? while it is true the cost of healthcare is ever climbing, as can be shown many times over,  government intervention often makes things worse not better, more expensive not less.
I see a lot of 2020 dems with no distinguishable message among them, just a parroting of talking points. the best is how we were told  how  we had to believe the mueller report. then when it came out, we were told the opposite...

pucho812 said:
Universal health care? while it is true the cost of healthcare is ever climbing, as can be shown many times over,  government intervention often makes things worse not better, more expensive not less.

Ask our British friends how they feel about NHS, or our Canadian friends how they feel about their system, or the Finns or Israelis etc. etc. etc. 

There's a lot that needs fixing in the US healthcare system.  If Republicans would get out of the way, some of that could get done.  Universal healthcare would be but one of the necessary steps to fixing things.

JohnRoberts said:
Starting???  It's called TDS or Trump derangement syndrome... and going on the third year...
Were you asleep for the entire Obama administration?  Clinton too?  There was more made of Clinton's off-label use of cigars than of collusion with a foreign govt. to affect the outcome of a presidential election.  Being so dismissive of something so grave is not a good look. 

As I said, Trump is excellent at drawing attention to himself.  That people fall for it so readily is a testament to his skills and their (our) weakness. 

The Dems in the House have been quite busy passing substantive legislation (something Rs could learn from--during Obama all they could do was vote to repeal the ACA--over and over and over and over), but no one really notices because the Senate Republicans will block everything, and Trump's in the White House jumping up and down yelling, "Look at me!  Look at me!"

You knew what you were getting when you voted for Trump, John.  You made a choice to vote for a man who would make a mockery of American democracy (and make a mockery  of the American media and much of our population).  Now, I do know someone so cynical that he looks at Trump and declares Trump is exactly what this country deserves (and he is not saying that in a nice way.)  I personally would rather see folks look better than they might actually be, instead of seeing all their foibles  accentuated as if reflected in a funhouse mirror. 

Matador said:
Did you read the report?

No sh*t. The only reason he wasn’t indicted for obstruction is because of the  DOJ policy of not indicting a sitting President.

Judging  from the report the only reason there wasn’t criminal conspiracy with Russia is that each side was more incompetent than competent. It wasn’t for lack of trying.

The campaign chairman absolutely conspired with a Russian agent Kilimnik and was prosecuted and plead guilty to it.

pucho812 said:
What mockery has he done exactly?

Well, we're up to something like 4000 lies so far in his term, I just read where he mocked the Green New Deal ("I think it is very important for the Democrats to press forward with their Green New Deal. It would be great for the so-called “Carbon Footprint” to permanently eliminate all Planes, Cars, Cows, Oil, Gas & the Military – even if no other country would do the same. Brilliant!, he nominated Herman Cain for the Fed, he made fun of reporter with a disability, stupid nicknames for Elizabeth Warren, Charles Schumer, etc. etc. etc. 

Mockery is a really big part of what Trump does.  I'm a little shocked you haven't noticed that.

hodad said:
Ask our British friends how they feel about NHS, or our Canadian friends how they feel about their system, or the Finns or Israelis etc. etc. etc. 

There's a lot that needs fixing in the US healthcare system.  If Republicans would get out of the way, some of that could get done.  Universal healthcare would be but one of the necessary steps to fixing things.

It's true some people have issues with NHS, but there has YET to be a poll among canadiens where there was nothing but overwhelming support for their healthcare system.

Check Finland and Norway, too.

I don't mean to be condescending, but every point you made is a canard put out by the establishment who wants to continue gouging people with our awful for-profit HC system. I mean seriously.

Whats the matter? You never got around to mentioning Venezuela.

It's true some people have issues with NHS, but there has YET to be a poll among canadiens where there was nothing but overwhelming support for their healthcare system.
This is especially true in Britain, the NHS is seen as one of the best things the population has ever achieved, despite its shortcomings.  It was achieved after a devastating war when the country was still on rationing and on its knees financially.

America took a wrong turn after WW2 by putting a competitive element into healthcare, "Come and work for us and we will insure your health".  Great for those with valuable skills, not so good for the ordinary Joe.  I find it strange that the wealthiest country on earth is unable to provide universal healthcare for its people.  In cases like this, you have to follow the money.................

Many Americans have conspiracy theories about the Federal Government, but from here it looks like the big corporations hold all the power and the government is little more than a rubber stamp.

DaveP

Ricardus said:

I don't mean to be condescending, but every point you made is a canard put out by the establishment who wants to continue gouging people with our awful for-profit HC system. I mean seriously.

You misread me--I'm in favor of universal healthcare.  Our awful for-profit healthcare system drives me crazy as well. 

If/when [AGW] action is needed I'm sure we can manage.
Yeah except by then, we'll have initiated a cascade of extinction/despeciation events that will destabilize the food chain with potentially catastrophic results.

Was reading the other day that our ocean's diversity is mostly a result of the vast quantities of krill, or very tiny shrimp that are present in open water.  Krill is a herbivore. Their food doesn't actually come from the ocean, but from desert sandstorms that carry phytoplankton out to sea each year on the wind.
If water planets don't necessarily produce biodiversity, why are we willing to gamble with the largest inheritance in the known universe?!?

Trump is very likely facing federal prosecution himself if he is voted out of office in 2020. He's thus very motivated to do whatever he can to stay in the seat. I hope he can be reigned in before things get devastatingly ugly...

Back