CBD oil

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnRoberts

Staff member
GDIY Supporter
There are so many people around here who know so much, I thought I'd ask here.  Anyone with personal experience using CBD oil supplements? Not just smoking ganja, I did plenty of that more than 50 years ago, but I didn't have arthritis back then and CBD is different from THC. 

I am thinking about trying CBD oil for it's anti-inflammatory properties to manage osteoarthritis (OA) in my right knee.  For years I have been treating the OA with NSAIDs (like naproxen sodium), but chronic use of NSAIDs can cause bleeding ulcers and more.  I had a neighbor hospitalized when he collapsed from blood loss due to a bleeding stomach ulcer from carless use of NSAIDs.  My doctor told me using NSAIDs to manage my OA is worth the risk, and I am careful to not take them on empty stomach, or take too many casually.

I am hoping that I might be able to substitute CBD oil for some or all of the NSAIDs and put less stress on my gut. Any one with recent experience using CBD oil supplements? There are lots of companies pushing hemp oil that isn't remotely the same stuff.  Right now real CBD oil is more expensive than generic NSAIDs but it could get cheaper over time extracted from common hemp.

JR

I have recommended cbd oil in my neighborhood to some 70+ friends, the results were mixed. Some are really impressed by the effect, the other group can not see any change. The good thing is, CBD oil has close to none side effects, so just test it if it helps you or not. You can test rosehip powder as well. This and CBD oil helps me good with similar problems in my shoulder.

rock soderstrom said:
I have recommended cbd oil in my neighborhood to some 70+ friends, the results were mixed. Some are really impressed by the effect, the other group can not see any change. The good thing is, CBD oil has close to none side effects, so just test it if it helps you or not. You can test rosehip powder as well. This and CBD oil helps me good with similar problems in my shoulder.
Thanks for the feedback, it must be good if you have that many friends.  ;D

I hadn't heard about rose hips for OA (I thought those were anti-oxidants).

Another angle I want to consider with the CBD oil is using it topically, directly rubbed on my knee instead of ingesting it...

I already use glucosamine chronditin and common remedies ( like golden raisins soaked in Gin).

JR

I've  tried several forms of CBD ,not because I have any complaints or ailments ,just because I had the oppertunity to .

First was the CBD salve , a small proportion of CBD mixed with what seems like coconut oil , for topical application , Id say thats well worth a try  , I heard good stories of it helping healing minor cuts and bruises too .

You can get oil based products in various strenghts , designed to be put under the tongue normally , there is an effect off it , but dosage and time isnt very precise , by eating or ingesting it its a very long and gradual release into the system .

Its also possible to vape CBD , usually with a mix of propylene glycol and glycerine , just the same machine and base ingredients as nicotine  vaporiser commonly found now , only replace the nicotine in the solution with CBD ,
Its a very different delivery system from the other two methods ,  you more or less get full effect in a minute or two .

I think the first two methods are at least a worth a try , the third method might be worth considering if stronger pain relief is nessesary .  I suppose really its all about quality of the CBD you can find , its easy to make some of that into an ointment or vape mix yourself .

Theres lots of options out there now online , It shouldnt be any issue to ship CBD , some people get bud now by Fed-EX  ;D

Strange seeing discussions like this. I have followed the legalization process here with mild interest but never truly considered the impact on everyday life.

As much as I'd like muse on this topic, in my country it's pretty much straight to jail card. All media is in the US-seventies weed-as-a-gateway-drug mode without alternatives.

Kingston said:
Strange seeing discussions like this. I have followed the legalization process here with mild interest but never truly considered the impact on everyday life.
In case I wasn't clear, and often I am not... CBD is not the psychoactive component of marijuana that make you high, that is THC.  In fact CBD can be extracted from the common hemp plant, grown to make rope not dope. The recent legalization effort is all about the THC component which has other medical properties, that I am not concerned about today.
As much as I'd like muse on this topic, in my country it's pretty much straight to jail card. All media is in the US-seventies weed-as-a-gateway-drug mode without alternatives.
I smoked the hell out of pot 50+ years ago and look at how I turned out... maybe OTOH don't look too closely.  ::)

JR

Slight tangent,  but I knew someone with arthritis who was helped by alfalfa supplements.  There are also  other documented effective anti-inflammation herbs like turmeric.  Eliminating inflammatory foods can help as well.

Definitely get off the nsaids if you can.

JohnRoberts said:
CBD is not the psychoactive component of marijuana that make you high, that is THC.  In fact CBD can be extracted from the common hemp plant, grown to make rope not dope. The recent legalization effort is all about the THC component which has other medical properties

I know. But farmers are not allowed to grow even the rope-kind low THC variants here. This country has an extremist Kafkaesque bureaucratic view on a rather broad topic that I am glad the rest of the western world is discussing.

I mentioned in another thread that my wife took it for migraine, it worked for a while.  The drug is made from the leaves, the oil is made from the stalks and is non narcotic.  Two small bottles cost 99euros in Amsterdam, still got them.

Nsaids burnt my stomach lining first time out, it took three weeks to heal.  You can get Nsaids in a gel for topical application, by far the best route.  I guess you overdid the basket ball with the kids on the block!

DaveP

The British Sugar factory just outside Bury St. Edmunds (where my wife was born) cooks huge quantities of sugar beet to extract the sugar. The waste heat is used to head several acres of greenhouses. Until recently they used to grow tomatoes in those greenhouses but they have now moved over to pharmaceutical grade marijuana.

I was astonished this morning to be offer the oil as an additive to coffee in the restaurant of a local nature reserve.

Cheers

Ian

Have you considered growing your own John (not sure what the state of laws are in MS)?  There are many around here that grow the plants and extract CBD in olive oil, which essentially costs nothing, especially if you have a bit of ground to grow in.

Ricardus said:
I've been thinking of trying it on my left knee as well, but it's pricey. For me anyway.

I have a friend who does lots of running. Hill climbs. Grueling stuff. He says it allows him to continue to do this at 55.
I wish I was 55 again... ;D

JR

DaveP said:
I mentioned in another thread that my wife took it for migraine, it worked for a while.  The drug is made from the leaves, the oil is made from the stalks and is non narcotic.  Two small bottles cost 99euros in Amsterdam, still got them.

Nsaids burnt my stomach lining first time out, it took three weeks to heal.  You can get Nsaids in a gel for topical application, by far the best route. 
Thanks I will research that... topical NSAIDs should be less stressful on my gut.
I guess you overdid the basket ball with the kids on the block!

DaveP
Actually the original knee trauma was caused back in the 80s by my motorcycle backfiring through the kick starter. Back in the very old dayz when cars were started by hand crank, people would often experience broken arms from such backfires.  My knee cartilage damage took decades of jogging and playing basketball (including one marathon) to finally degrade to point where it caused my osteoarthritis condition (reaction to chronic inflammation). Near the end of my ball playing days I could feel bone on bone crunching inside my knee joint when I tried to sprint, no bueno.  :'(

JR

Matador said:
Have you considered growing your own John (not sure what the state of laws are in MS)?  There are many around here that grow the plants and extract CBD in olive oil, which essentially costs nothing, especially if you have a bit of ground to grow in.
I have about a half dozen hot pepper plants growing. Trying to grow my own hemp, and then extract just the CBD sounds like too much of a science fair project. Far easier to just plant some cannabis sativa, and process it in joints using traditional methods (fire).

Back in the day we would just throw away the seeds, and smoke the buds.  8)

JR

I haven't done it personally, but extraction involves baking the buds for 20-30 minutes (to heat the oils), then heating the stalks/buds in olive oil for 30 minutes to 1 hour.  A few plants worth of stalk material is enough to infuse around 1 quart of oil oil, which is enough CBD supply for almost 6 months.

Beer brewing appears to be far more involved. :)

I think theres various ways of seperating plant material from oils , all probably arent equal , I guess driving off the more volatile thc compounds in the oven is one way of doing it ,

Were not so smart  here in Ireland to have cut the link between criminality and weed yet ,

There are modified strains available off the shelf in head shops and health food places , its bud just like normal ,but has only fractions of a % THC , its legal to grow and legal to posess .
Id definately try a coffee infused with CBD in the nature reserve Ian ,

As I said, just because you dont get the 'high'  of dope from CBD doesnt mean it has no physiological or psychological effect , the way I would describe it is , you might feel unusually at ease in your suroundings ,Id say it would reduce heart rate and blood presure as a result ,
Of course I have'nt  hooked myself upto wires , probes and heart monitors while administering a dose of CBD ,but thats the general effect .

My dad who is straight as an arrow frowned when I brought over some CBD creme for my mom. She refused to use it. I assured her there was no way she’d get high and my dad kept rolling his eyes. A year later she told me my dad started rubbing it on his knee where there is some cartilage inflammation and he’s fully sold on it and asked me to score ( ;D) him some more. He said nothing has helped more with the pain.

If you can knock a chemical med on the head , in favour of natural remedy like that your winning on two fronts in the war .

Most definitely. There was a point in my life when I was prescribed Xanax. Certainly a potent effective drug. After a while I realized that it didn’t want to be on some pharmaceutical synthetic and I shifted to mellow indicas. It wasn’t the same but I forced myself to believe that it was and eventually the memory of the  sharp potency of the pill faded ( a fading memory - ya don’t say ) and the indica was definitely the right way. And everything was cool. Then I got the divorce and didn’t need anything anymore 🤪

Back