Normalizing balanced/unbalanced signals

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

electric_diaries

Hi All.

I have just started thinking about the in/out circuitry on a simple VCA design and I have, but I can’t quite get my head around it. I don’t usually work with balanced signals anywhere in my chain so please bare with me.

I was thinking about using something similar to Gyraf’s SSL compressor circuitry using standard op-amps, but I need the signal to be normalised to 0dB (from input to output) regardless of wether the in/out signal is balanced or not.

In my head I see a 6dB loss at the input when plugging in an unbalanced signal/cable, and another 6dB loss at the output if I plug in an unbalanced cable. So we are talking about 12dB loss if I use unbalanced signals. Are there any circuits out there to mitigate this loss when an unbalanced signal/cable is plugged in?

Here again a brief explanation of the two possible scenarios:

Scenario one:
Balanced TRS in/out plugs, interfacing with other balanced gear.

Scenario two
Unbalanced TS in/out plugs, interfacing with other unbalanced gear.

thanks!

user 37518 said:
Take a look at cross-coupled outputs at the end of this article https://www.rane.com/note124.html, you can also use a good old transformer instead.

Thanks this looks interesting! I saw your other thread on MCI cross-coupled outputs. Did you ever find a stable reproducible circuit that worked?

This is a semi-commercial idea and Transformers are unfortunately far out of the budget range.

Do you know about anything that would solve the problem on the input side?

boji said:
+1 on the tx boost.  You get galvanic iso out of the bargain and excellent cmrr on the outs as well.

see above

electric_diaries said:
Are there any circuits out there to mitigate this loss when an unbalanced signal/cable is plugged in?
THAT (http://www.thatcorp.com/) is the way to go. 1200 and 1646. Properly implemented, you,ll never look back. No noise or stability issues, indifferent to balanced/unbalanced connections.

abbey road d enfer said:
THAT (http://www.thatcorp.com/) is the way to go. 1200 and 1646. Properly implemented, you,ll never look back. No noise or stability issues, indifferent to balanced/unbalanced connections.

These chips did cross my mind, but I wondered if there was a cheaper alternative. Could be the way to go here though.

Do you know if the 1250/1290 series will also handle my normalising issue? I had a quick look through the data sheets but couldn't find the relevant info. CMRR isn't really a huge deal for me, because the cable length will almost always be under 2 meters on the input and output.

electric_diaries said:
These chips did cross my mind, but I wondered if there was a cheaper alternative.
There are, but they suffer of compromised performance and are more complicated to optimize.

Could be the way to go here though.
I don't think you will regret it.

Do you know if the 1250/1290 series will also handle my normalising issue?
Neve 1290 is already transformer balanced so don't need additional circuitry to be compatible with either balanced or unbalanced connections.

CMRR isn't really a huge deal for me, because the cable length will almost always be under 2 meters on the input and output.
CMRR can be an issue even with very short cables because of possible ground loops.

abbey road d enfer said:
Neve 1290 is already transformer balanced so don't need additional circuitry to be compatible with either balanced or unbalanced connections.

I meant the THAT1250 and THAT1290 (this is a stereo design).  Do you know if they will handle my normalising issue?

Latest posts

Back