Mackie HR824 low pass switch replacement?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Che_Guitarra

Hi guys.

One of my Mackie HR824 monitors seems to have a faulty high pass selector... well, i'm hoping it's the selector.  There are three high pass options on a slider switch: 80Hz, 47Hz, and 37Hz.  37Hz is no longer passing signal to the woofer, and i'm starting to get a lot of static in the channel @ 47Hz (my standard low cut selection due to the size of my room).

As my monitors are wall mounted it's a bit of a mission to fix the problem... in short, i'm yet to pull it out to see how easy a problem this is to fix.

Does anyone have any experience repairing Mackie monitors?  Not sure if this is a fix I can cary out myself, or (if mounted on a cheap and flimsy PCB) if I should consider taking it to a tech for a fix.  Or if it will likely be cheaper to throw it in the bin and try to source another.

Hmmm.

Che_Guitarra said:
Does anyone have any experience repairing Mackie monitors?  Not sure if this is a fix I can cary out myself, or (if mounted on a cheap and flimsy PCB) if I should consider taking it to a tech for a fix.  Or if it will likely be cheaper to throw it in the bin and try to source another.

Hmmm.

Probably just a 2P3T switch that you could replace if that's the issue......... I guess finding the right one would be the hardest part if you are comfortable doing it yourself....

Sorry for the off-topic but are those speakers any good? Found a mk1 version pair for rather cheap.

For what it's worth, depending on the height / length of the actuator, something like this looks like should fit the bill (at least from what i can deduce from the service manual):

https://www.mouser.fi/ProductDetail/E-Switch/EG2301B?qs=sGAEpiMZZMtHXLepoqNyVUeH7uqpYtOlh7an52C3ka8%3D

This B version should have a 9mm long "lever", according to the datasheet. No suffix = 3mm, A = 6mm, C = 12mm.

Given the four mounting pins of the switch casing, i don't quite see it getting replaced without a hot-air station.

The switches are a problem on these speakers. Have you tried a contact cleaner?
I bought 3 used off CL that some production house had stored for years due to these switches failing.
All it took was some spray cleaner to get all 3 speakers working again, and so far they have stayed reliable for about 4 years.
If you haven't already, spray them lightly and work them a few times... see if that doesn't help.

Latest posts

Back