Lucky find

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tubetec

Theres a buddy of mine hasnt spent a dime on fire wood in years , he collects untreated pallets from local business during the summer months , cuts them with a circular saw and stores them up for winter . He tipped me off to a factory who  tossed out a load  of screws bolts washers nuts and rivets , almost 40kg  of it , mainly zinc plated ,but some stainless too , M3 upto about M12 ,all mixed up . In only an hour or two Ive sorted most of it into Linbins . Once its rinsed down and allowed to dry , then a quick spray of WD 40 , its all as good as new . Must be a couple of hundred euros worth of fixings , I wont need to  visit the hardware store for a while .

I just harvested over 50 TL072s and about half that number of NE5532s from some old EELA mixer PCBs - fortunately all the chips were on sockets. I also got half a dozen 1:1 output transformers and, if I can be bother there are a dozen or so THAT  2155s. There are lots of dual gang RADIOHM diecast body pots that I  can't be bothered to remove. If anyone wants these boards for what's left I am happy to give them away.

Cheers

Ian

In L.A. we have lucky finds all the time if you are looking and can talk to the right people.
My friend almost fished out a whole sonly mxp 3000 from the sony pictures as they had one in the dumpster when redoing a foley stage.  he  ultimately couldn't get the desk but he pulled all the channels that had API eq's and api mic pre's  on them.  not bad for free.

> a factory who  tossed out a load  of screws bolts washers nuts and rivets , almost 40kg  of it

Bah. When WWII ended, government contracts were cancelled. Half-made parts were sold at scrap-metal prices. My grandfather bought aircraft bits by the TON. (55 gallon barrels full.) My grandmother, her son,  and his girlfriend sat in their garage and sorted. The girl (later my mom) was especially good at finding a leftie, a rightie, and a right-size body to make a turnbuckle, something that always has wide application (unlike the strange little pulleys and odd brackets only an airplane needs).

ruffrecords said:
I just harvested over 50 TL072s and about half that number of NE5532s from some old EELA mixer PCBs - fortunately all the chips were on sockets. I also got half a dozen 1:1 output transformers and, if I can be bother there are a dozen or so THAT  2155s. There are lots of dual gang RADIOHM diecast body pots that I  can't be bothered to remove. If anyone wants these boards for what's left I am happy to give them away.

Cheers

Ian

Hi Ian,

I'll be happy to take these boards. I'm sure someone over here wants them...

Latest posts

Back