KM84 Service

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iturnknobs

So, I picked up four KM84s. They do pass signal and I will inject signal soon to verify the electronics are in good shape. I believe that the capsules are in disrepair. One of them is definitely broken. The "contact" pin that connects capsule to the circuit body is broken.  I am guessing that the others need to be re-skinned or re-tensioned. Does anyone know of someone who does this kind of work and whether or not it is even worth attempting? Should I just buy new replacement capsules? I am not sure how to proceed on this one.

-Brian

You might try the following:

https://microphonerepair.com/

Walker Microphones
6637 Wellington Rd 34
Cambridge, ON N3C 2V4, Canada
Phone: (519) 654-0070

There will be no re-tensioning as that is not something one can do as far as I know. Re-skinning is what your in for I agree that buying new capsules might be the best option.

RuudNL said:
That guy in Canada is pretty expensive!
He charges $ 375 for cleaning a U87 microphone capsule...

Wow, his prices have gone up since 2012 then.  I paid less than half that. 

Who ever you decide to do the job make sure they are absolute masters for km84. This capsule is so sensitive and has to be re assembled masterfully.

I repeated this a dosen times on the forum. After fixing a couple of km84s i said i'd never, ever buy used one. Literally every micrometer change in tensioning of the backplate tension ring results in several dbs in FR change. Pins are way to sensitive they break easily, and their tensioning affects response as well.

I cant think of a way of reassembling the capsule without anechoic chamber or Neumann's factory notes on assembly.

I'd +1 what EmRR wrote, new ones, or Neuman's factory refurbishment.

EmRR said:
$279US or $504CA

I suppose $ 375.00 CA.
A friend of mine asked what the price would be for the cleaning of a U87 microphone capsule.
This is the answer he got:

"There is a procedure that I do to U 87's that takes about 6 hours to do which I charge a flat rate of 375.00, and since my hourly rate is 100.00 dollars per hour this is a pretty good deal."

I wonder what his procedure is, if it takes him 6 hours to clean a capsule...  ;D

Oh, and he also writes: " I also will re tension the diaphragm if it needs it.."
I suppose this man can do magic...  ::)

RuudNL said:
That guy in Canada is pretty expensive!
He charges $ 375 for cleaning a U87 microphone capsule...

Try Tom Onofrio in Meriden, Conn...used to work for Neumann...did nice work on one of my mics....

the simple, no brainer way is to simply replace the capsules. you can get them from sennheiser/neuman for a bit over $500 each.
that's the real-deal, and you know that they will be right.
any other method, imho,  you take your chances. Sure, it  is probably cheaper.

I just ordered a replacement capsule for an '84 that I got that had been dropped.

You can also still get KM83 capsules from the same source.

KM84  p/n 053228 (nickel finish)
KM83  p/n 092450 (also nickel, i believe)

Back