Dremel

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I ride rotary tools hard. I burned out three of those before getting a Foredom rotary tool.

I just destroyed a sheath on the foredom  but had a spare on hand. I just ordered a replacement for the replacement.

The common Dremels are notoriously inaccurate. Still saved my projects too many times to count.

My sister is a silver smith and has a dentist-drill repurposed to general use. It's compatible with Dremel bits but the accuracy and power more than one class higher end experience.

Ricardus said:
Is it wrong that I'm super excited about getting a Dremel 4300 tomorrow?!
Id be excited too, I love my dremel!  I can't remember the model I have, but I've lots of cool things with it.
Gold said:
I ride rotary tools hard. I burned out three of those before getting a Foredom rotary tool.
Me too, I am on my 3rd dremel... each time I burned one out I contacted the company and was told to send it in for free repairs, and then recieved a new unit back, of an updated model no less!  I've had the last one for more than 5 years, I don't know if thed do that anymore.

Dremels are a life saver at times. Mine has a snake attachment and router bits for metal and wood. I also have the standard cut and sanding bits but the snake tool is perfect for my needs

I burned out three of those.
--
I am on my 3rd dremel... each time I burned one out I contacted the company and was told to send it in for free repairs, and then received a new unit back, of an updated model no less!

Thought it was just me!  Started to get squeeky with that 'dry bearing sound'.  Took it apart and oiled the sealed bearings hoping some would sneak back in. Instead I created a commutator issue and screwed up the speed selector.  Kept dying on me in the middle of work, so it's a backup now.

Seems like I am the odd one out. I hate mechanics. I think I may be mechanically dyslexic. I had a Dremel look alike tool ages ago but hardly ever used it so I threw it away. What are they good for?

Cheers

Ian

ruffrecords said:
What are they good for?

The two most used attachments on my rotary tool are cutoff wheels and abrasive polishing brushes.

You can use .75”-3” small cutoff wheels. They are good for chassis work and cutting small things like 1/2” bar stock.

I use 3M radial bristle ScotchBrite wheels. I use them to clean and polish. There are  grits from 80 to 1 micron.

ruffrecords said:
Seems like I am the odd one out. I hate mechanics. I think I may be mechanically dyslexic. I had a Dremel look alike tool ages ago but hardly ever used it so I threw it away. What are they good for?

Cheers

Ian

Cut, grind, deburr, drill, polish, making annoying dentist office noises.

I didn't think I needed measuring calipers. Then I started designing custom humbucking rings for one of my guitars, and I borrowed a pair. Then I was using them many times a week. I have no idea how I lived without them (particularly since I've gotten back into building). The Dremel is the same thing. I would borrow them when I needed them, and didn't want to give them back. So once I had the cash I had to get a decent one, I did.

Ricardus said:
Cut, grind, deburr, drill, polish, making annoying dentist office noises.
I very occasionally need to drill a hole for which I have a drill and I already have a dedicated debuting tool but I never need to cut, grind or polish.

Cheers

Ian

ruffrecords said:
I very occasionally need to drill a hole for which I have a drill and I already have a dedicated debuting tool but I never need to cut, grind or polish.

Cheers

Ian

I believe you have correctly assessed your situation.  A rotary tool only makes a good drill in specialized cases. It’s primarily for cutting, grinding and polishing.

Last week I had to remove a broken standoff screw end from a blind hole. I ended up having to drill it out and re-tap at the proper size (10-32). I only had a standard tap. I used that tap as far as possible, then used the Dremel with cut-off wheel to cut the end off the tap to make a homemade bottoming tap. Cutting took approx 2 seconds. I used the side of the cutoff wheel to smooth the end a little and the tap worked perfectly.

Youngwhisk said:
Last week I had to remove a broken standoff screw end from a blind hole. I ended up having to drill it out and re-tap at the proper size (10-32). I only had a standard tap. I used that tap as far as possible, then used the Dremel with cut-off wheel to cut the end off the tap to make a homemade bottoming tap. Cutting took approx 2 seconds. I used the side of the cutoff wheel to smooth the end a little and the tap worked perfectly.
Taps are hardened and pretty brittle, surprised that worked.... Heating probably affected the hardness but for a one time mod to git er dun OK.

JR

What are they good for?
MM, holepunch and dremel my bread, butter n toaster this weekend. :)

eCPasdw.jpg

Back