HE-569 pre/eq 500 series

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
sooo...

the preamp works fine, no oscillation and a good amount of gain.
the eq works nice but i want to try to get closer to the original unit:
compared to a helios 500 (the reissued version now discontinued), the mid section eq curves in my version have an higher Q, so now i will try to find the right choice of inductance an capacitance with the inductor VTB 9048. I think the ideal inductor for mid bands would be VTB 9042 but unfortunately there isn't enough real estate on the pcb for that.
Also i've found that when the eq is activated a little ripple in the mid curves appears, let say half a dB at max frequency boost at 6.8 kHz, this disappear when the low band frequency switch is engaged, but is present in all the others switch position.
I think that this could be caused by the low frequency boost circuit not being terminated by the switch.

Paolo

here is the plot of all the mid bands boost cut of my unit:

HE569-Mid-All.png

here is the Helios 500 plot for the mid bands, notice that on some frequency the Q is lower

Helios500-Mid-All.png

Hi Shelf plot

Top: He569
Bottom: Helios500

-2dB
Helios-comparison-2d-B-10k-Hz.png

-4dB
Helios-comparison-4d-B-10k-Hz.png

-6dB
Helios-comparison-6d-B-10k-Hz.png

-8dB
Helios-comparison-8d-B-10k-Hz.png

-10dB
Helios-comparison-10d-B-10k-Hz.png

+2dB
Helios-comparison-2d-B-10k-Hz.png

+4dB
Helios-comparison-4d-B-10k-Hz.png

+6dB
Helios-comparison-6d-B-10k-Hz.png

+8dB
Helios-comparison-8d-B-10k-Hz.png

+10dB
Helios-comparison-10d-B-10k-Hz.png

Rocinante said:
So are we good to go?

I'm going to design a version 4 pcb to open up the selection of frequency Q a bit, but ver 3 is good too.
now i have to find somebody here to do the L-bracket, the faceplate design is done.

input transformer is Sowter 7490e: on the online shop there's only the 7490f wich has a mounting boss, to order the one with the "e" suffix you need to send an email to softer when ordering.

output transformer is EA2623-1

inductors are VTB 9043 and VTB9048 from audio maintenance

Your EQ is as good as need be Paulo.    Helios channels differed somewhat from batch to batch during the years they were built, and, within a batch, there were tolerance differences too. 
Also, most all the early channels used whatever inductors could be bought inexpensively on the surplus market and, from what I remember, don't measure exactly as "written on the tin"

IOW, you done good👍

pahstah said:
the main problem is oscillation above 70 db of gain with the 1:10 tap inserted, no oscilation with the 1:1 tap.

Do you have that oscillation also in the "oficial" reissue unit?

You are doing great work mate, thank you so much for sharing this

These look nice. I bet they would be perfect for guitars and drums. You would need these to get that reggae snare sound. Bob Marley used Helios consoles as well as Led Zeppelin and many others.

pahstah said:
the eq works nice but i want to try to get closer to the original unit:
compared to a helios 500 (the reissued version now discontinued), the mid section eq curves in my version have an higher Q

Hello Paolo,
remember that you don't know how much the Helios 500 series reissue is close to an original.
Helios doesn't exist for a long time, that reissue is just a name.

I remember a big thread somewhere were Helios experts talked about and compared all the Helios reissues/clones at the market at the time.
I remember big disagreements between the people,  some of the disagreements where about that Reissue module.

Let me see if I can find it

I found it,
there was an event called the "The Great Helios Listening Party Held"

https://www.prosoundnetwork.com/archives/the-great-helios-listening-party-held

The thread that had all the nice Helios photos and then ended with big disagreements.
It's a good read I liked it, but only for the hardcore Helios fans....

https://repforums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/topic,17863.2385.html

Latest posts

Back